Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

JosueMolina
Helper I
Helper I

User Limit reached for Workspace

We have a subset of Semantic Models using Direct Lake to Query data stored in our Lakehouses. The SQL Endpoints in one of our Workspaces stopped working today and we are getting the error for User Limit reached in the Workspace. 

"The requested Lakehouse operation failed. A retry of the operation may help. Additional error details: The user session limit for the workspace is 400 and has been reached. Changed database context to 'DataflowsStagingLakehouse'. Changed language setting to us_english.."

We have a Premium Capacity (not PPU). Any idea why this is? Other workspaces are working fine.

9 REPLIES 9
coverturfLSH
Frequent Visitor

Hi Josue,

Were you ever able to get a solution for this? I'm running into a similar issue where it says I have 724 user sessions when I only really have 20 unique people that have access to the workspace. 

Hi @coverturfLSH 

Sadly, no. We had to recreate the whole workspace and reassess our inner process to safeguard against this happening again. Microsoft Support could not provide a solution at all. The Endpoints "fixed" themselves a week after and we have not seen the error again, but we moved on to another architecture for Data Loading and Processing instead. 

Where are you seeing the 724 User Sessions?

I started another thread because I'm having issues with my data warehouse (https://community.fabric.microsoft.com/t5/Data-Warehouse/Data-Warehouse-is-inaccessible-overnight/m-...)

Half of my dataflows failed and the error message was "Couldn't refresh the entity because of an issue with the mashup document MashupException.Error: DataSource.Error: Microsoft SQL: The user session limit for the workspace is 724 and has been reached." 

I was wondering if they were related because theoretically, if the workspace is at "max users" then it wouldn't authenticate any more. But there's no shot that there's actually 724 users with active sessions in my workspace. I was hoping that you would say Microsoft was able to terminate all of the sessions. 

Receating the workspace seems to be a common suggested solution by Microsofft... I'd probably spend an entire week rebuilding it, but that may be the path I have to head down. 😞

What we found worked as a temporary measure is creating a Lakehouse in a new area and creating Shortcuts to all tables in the unusable Warehouse / Lakehouse. Data is still there, it's just authentication that fails, so using shortcuts will make so the authentication happens at the other workspace / Lakehouse.  This can help temporarily. 

That's a great solution, will try!

If you have Datasets connected to the previous Warehouse, you can do a rebind of the dataset to the new lakehouse. There's an API for that as Update DataSource.

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

That is highly unusual, and I am not aware of such a limit. Since you have a Pro license you can open a Pro ticket at https://admin.powerplatform.microsoft.com/newsupportticket/powerbi

I've been meaning to avoid that. Have had terrible experience with Fabric items and Microsoft Support. Resolution Time has been over 1 month, sometimes 2 and this is a very critical item.

Appreciate your help, in any case.

As painful as it may be, it is the only way to get results. Eventually.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors