Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

HenriqueRodrig
Regular Visitor

Update dataflow after data is added to SQL

Good afternoon, friends, how are you?
I have a SQL database that updates every hour exactly. Since the data may take between 1 to 5 minutes to update, I would like my dataflow to be automatically updated as soon as the database finishes updating, in a push-style update rather than a pull-style.

Is there a way to check if the database has been updated in 'real-time' and update my dataflow if so?

PS: My company has a workspace with premium capacity

Tks for all

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ibarrau
Super User
Super User

Hi. I think this is not a power bi issue but a SQL Server one.

I know that you can create Triggers for a database to run actions when something happens. You might want to read more about that. The key here is catching that event, once you can do it, it's a matter of running a Power Bi Rest API request to refresh the dataflow.

If the SQL database is in Azure, there might be something on logic apps or power automate. If it's on premise it would be reading more about Triggers probably.

I hope that helps,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
ibarrau
Super User
Super User

Hi. I think this is not a power bi issue but a SQL Server one.

I know that you can create Triggers for a database to run actions when something happens. You might want to read more about that. The key here is catching that event, once you can do it, it's a matter of running a Power Bi Rest API request to refresh the dataflow.

If the SQL database is in Azure, there might be something on logic apps or power automate. If it's on premise it would be reading more about Triggers probably.

I hope that helps,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

Thank you for the response.

I already have a workflow in Power Automate to refresh my dataset

I have a dataset that provides me with the date and time of the last update of the database every hour. And, if the database is up to date, it trigger another flow that updates my dataflow, and if not, it sends me an error email.

I would like to eliminate the step of updating the dataset, so that as soon as my database is updated, it would trigger my flow.

Do you know a way to do that in Power Automate? There is a way to "Connect" my SQL server in the power automate to trigger an flow?

Thanks

So you mention a dataflow in your first post and a dataset in your second. Since the terms do have different meanings/implications/solutions, which is it?

If you want the dataset to immediately update, you'd need to either convert it to a DirectQuery version and hope you're not using any DAX that's not allowed in that mode, or you have to add the refresh to your Automation flow. If this is for the dataflow, there is no DirectQuery equivalent for updating them...or anything beyond the 30-min interval refresh, so you're best off trying ibarrau's solution.

I have both, dataset and dataflow, but my reports are connected to the Dataflow. The dataset that i mentioned was a "Solution" that a found to trigger the dataflow refresh in the Power Automate. 

Sorry for the confusion and tks for your answer

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors