Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Alisea_MI
Resolver II
Resolver II

Unable to Refresh a Semantic Model withe a Web Source

Hi, Community!

I have a well-working semantic model  with 2 sources: synapse and company sharepoint, that I am able to refresh without issues.

When I have added a web source to be able to get the correct offset time Time Zone & Clock Changes in Owensboro, Kentucky, USA (timeanddate.com), I get issue with the dataset refresh and see the following differences under the settings:

• The gateway connection is on and greyed out, not allowing me to turn it off as per our routines
  • It requests the personal gateway, although, as per my understanding, we do not need any gateway for a web source
  • The data source credentials are greyed out and I cannot edit them.

Web_comparison.jpg

It works well to upload the new data  from the web to the report in the PBI Desktop / Power Query.

I have the following permissions for the sources in the PBI Service connections and  PBI Desktop:
Synapse (working well in the old version without the web sources)
SynapseRSA.jpg
Company SharePoint (working well in the old version without the web sources)
SharePointRSA.jpg

For the new web source I have tested the following variants, returning the same issue as in the 1st screenshotWebRSA_1.jpgWebRSA_2.jpgWebRSA_3.jpg
 I was not able to set the Oath2 on the cloud connection or Organizational account on the data source in the deskop
WebRSA_4.jpg
Our Hosting says that the source does not need to be whitelisted.
Would be grateful for any possible solutions here 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
aj1973
Community Champion
Community Champion

@Alisea_MI 

Just re tested your own M code and it is working fine

aj1973_0-1704904463763.png

What you could is start over : Delete the Query from Power Query and make sure to delete the source from here :

aj1973_1-1704904674165.png

Save you report and reopen your Power Query and Get Data/Blank Query, in Query Editor Copy/Paste you M Code you just shared with me. Rename your Query 1 and republish your report.

Regards
Amine Jerbi

If I answered your question, please mark this thread as accepted
and you can follow me on
My Website, LinkedIn and Facebook

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
aj1973
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @Alisea_MI 

When Get Data from Web use Ananymous, then in Query Editor delete "Browser" and leave it like this

aj1973_1-1704899544952.png

in the service use Ananymous as well like this:

aj1973_0-1704899457178.png

you should be good. I tested it and it's working.

Regards
Amine Jerbi

and you can follow me on

Thanx for the hack, @aj1973 !

I changed the M code as you said, put the anonymous to the data source in the query and on the web connection.
Web_answer.jpg

In my case the data source credentials are totally greyed-out. That's not how it is for you.
And it gets greyed-out only if I add this web source. When I remove it, it works as usual and I can edit the connection.
Data source connection greyed out.jpg

Unfortunately, still the same issue.
What do you have on your data source connection, anonymous as well?

My M code is here:
let
Source = Web.Contents("https://www.timeanddate.com/time/zone/usa/owensboro"),
#"Extracted Table From Html" = Html.Table(Source, {{"Column1", "TABLE.table.table\-\-left.table\-\-inner-borders-rows > * > TR > :nth-child(1)"}, {"Column2", "TABLE.table.table\-\-left.table\-\-inner-borders-rows > * > TR > :nth-child(2)"}}, [RowSelector="TABLE.table.table\-\-left.table\-\-inner-borders-rows > * > TR"]),
#"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Extracted Table From Html",{{"Column1", type text}, {"Column2", type text}}),
#"Filtered Rows" = Table.SelectRows(#"Changed Type", each ([Column1] = "Current Offset:")),
#"Inserted Text Between Delimiters" = Table.AddColumn(#"Filtered Rows", "Current Offset", each Text.BetweenDelimiters([Column2], " ", " "), type text),
#"Changed Type1" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Inserted Text Between Delimiters",{{"Current Offset", Int64.Type}}),
#"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type1", "Owensboro", each DateTimeZone.SwitchZone(DateTimeZone.LocalNow(), [Current Offset])),
#"Renamed Columns" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Added Custom",{{"Column2", "TimeZoneOwe"}}),
#"Reordered Columns" = Table.ReorderColumns(#"Renamed Columns",{"Column1", "Current Offset", "Owensboro", "TimeZoneOwe"}),
#"Split Column by Position" = Table.SplitColumn(Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Reordered Columns", {{"Owensboro", type text}}, "sv-SE"), "Owensboro", Splitter.SplitTextByPositions({0, 6}, true), {"Owensboro.1", "Owensboro.2"}),
#"Changed Type2" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Split Column by Position",{{"Owensboro.1", type datetime}, {"Owensboro.2", type duration}}),
#"Split Column by Delimiter" = Table.SplitColumn(Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Changed Type2", {{"Owensboro.1", type text}}, "sv-SE"), "Owensboro.1", Splitter.SplitTextByEachDelimiter({" "}, QuoteStyle.Csv, false), {"Owensboro.1.1", "Owensboro.1.2"}),
#"Changed Type3" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Split Column by Delimiter",{{"Owensboro.1.1", type date}, {"Owensboro.1.2", type time}}),
#"Renamed Columns1" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Changed Type3",{{"Owensboro.1.1", "Refresh Date_OWE"}, {"Owensboro.1.2", "Refresh Time_Owe"}})
in
#"Renamed Columns1"

aj1973
Community Champion
Community Champion

@Alisea_MI 

Just re tested your own M code and it is working fine

aj1973_0-1704904463763.png

What you could is start over : Delete the Query from Power Query and make sure to delete the source from here :

aj1973_1-1704904674165.png

Save you report and reopen your Power Query and Get Data/Blank Query, in Query Editor Copy/Paste you M Code you just shared with me. Rename your Query 1 and republish your report.

Regards
Amine Jerbi

and you can follow me on

Once again, thanx, @aj1973 !
I managed to solve it using your trick and in a new file - I think something got stuck in my old one. Now everything is working. 

aj1973
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @Alisea_MI 

Can you please screenshot the M code the Query editor?

Regards
Amine Jerbi

and you can follow me on

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors