Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

JSiebrecht
Resolver I
Resolver I

Trigger full Refresh on Dataset with Incremental Refresh

I need a way to perform a "full" refresh of my 10 days window once a day with incremental refreshes in between.

Background
I have a very large datasource with billion of records in the future and past.
I only need a current sub-set of these records at a time. But even this sub-set is very large (approx. 500mio recrods each).
The reports need to be very up-to-date, but direct query is not an option for legal reasons.
Most of the data (98%) does not change. So a full refresh at this order of magnitute every 5min or so does not seem like the way to go.
Incremental refresh appears suitable.
Problem is my rolling window of only 10 current days.
Much of the data will not have changed since the last incremental refresh, thus not being pulled once the windows shifts one day.

I would need a way to perform a "full" refresh of my 10 days window once a day with incremental refreshes after that.

Anyone knows of a way to do this prrgamatically?

Many thanks for your input!

Jan

3 REPLIES 3
esinger5

Wondering if you have found a solution to this issue

TomMartens
Super User
Super User

Hey @JSiebrecht ,

my 1st idea is to an incremental refresh by using the xmla endpoint, but this requires some kind of Premium capacity: Advanced incremental refresh with the XMLA endpoint in Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Another solution is to create a view on top of your data source, that filters the required data in advance. Then you can publish your dataset each day (or whenever you want) and perform an initial load, after that you can use the incremental load.

Hopefully, this requires some ideas on how to tackle your challenge.

Regards,

Tom

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!

Proud to be a Super User!
I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

Hi @TomMartens ,

thanks for your input!
My dataset is hosted in a P2 SKU Premium Capacity. If this gives options.
To publish the dataset each day for the next X years, I don't hink that's a viable option for this kind of business process.

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors