Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

davephall
Regular Visitor

Time interval of inactivity before auto-pause and member gateways - how does this affect our users

Hi folks!

We're looking at using a Virtual Network Data Gateway to connect from our Fabric Capacity to Azure SQL, and I was wondering a couple of things about how it operated in practice:

- I'm looking at the Time interval of inactivity before auto-pause, and noting the document Manage virtual network (VNet) data gateway high availability and load balancing | Microsoft Learn that suggests that stopping auto-pause is not an option - Does this mean that after that period, our next customer to view a report (in power BI embedded) will have to wait a couple of minutes before they view the report? Has anyone found a way past that limitation?

- On the number of member gateways - is there any metrics to see when that 6 query limit is hit? I'd like to make a data driven decision on that but can't see any data.

Thanks,

Dave.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
mohitkumawat
Super User
Super User

Hi  ,

As far I know,  there's no way to completely disable auto-pause on a Virtual Network Data Gateway (VNet Data Gateway) for Azure SQL access.VNet Data Gateway auto-pauses after inactivity (default 30 mins).

First report viewer after auto-pause might experience a 2-3 minute delay.

but you can try below options to minimize delay fo end users.

Increase auto-pause inactivity time (up to 24 hours).

Increase the number of gateways in your cluster.

Unfortunately, there aren't built-in metrics within Azure to directly monitor when the 6 query limit per gateway is reached. you can check below alternatives 

Enable diagnostic logging for insights into query throughput and throttling.

Use Azure Monitor to track gateway metrics (successes, failures, latency).

Spikes in metrics might indicate needing more gateways.

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/data-integration/vnet/high-availability-load-balancing

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/vnet-data-gateway-for-fabric-and-power-bi-is-now-generally-...

If this post helps, then please consider Accepting it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@davephall

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
mohitkumawat
Super User
Super User

Hi  ,

As far I know,  there's no way to completely disable auto-pause on a Virtual Network Data Gateway (VNet Data Gateway) for Azure SQL access.VNet Data Gateway auto-pauses after inactivity (default 30 mins).

First report viewer after auto-pause might experience a 2-3 minute delay.

but you can try below options to minimize delay fo end users.

Increase auto-pause inactivity time (up to 24 hours).

Increase the number of gateways in your cluster.

Unfortunately, there aren't built-in metrics within Azure to directly monitor when the 6 query limit per gateway is reached. you can check below alternatives 

Enable diagnostic logging for insights into query throughput and throttling.

Use Azure Monitor to track gateway metrics (successes, failures, latency).

Spikes in metrics might indicate needing more gateways.

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/data-integration/vnet/high-availability-load-balancing

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/vnet-data-gateway-for-fabric-and-power-bi-is-now-generally-...

If this post helps, then please consider Accepting it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@davephall

Thanks, that's really useful insight, I'll have a look at those metrics to see where it gets me.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors