Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

gayatri_k
Regular Visitor

Testing custom connector in Power BI Service

Hi,

I have created a custom connector for our organization and wanted to test the same in Power BI Service. I am trying to follow the steps mentioned from this documentation https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-query/samples/trippin/9-testconnection/readme

I have installed gateway in personal mode as suggested to setup refresh schedule. After deployment in service, I don't see an option to set dataset on a refresh schedule. Following is the notification I see in the service.

Refresh can't be scheduled because the data set doesn't contain any data model connections, or is a worksheet or linked table. To schedule refresh, the data must be loaded into the data model.

Connector that we have built talks to our application's API to authenticate user and grab necessary data from data lake using Azure function. 

Why am I unable to setup refresh schedule in this case? Any thoughts?

4 REPLIES 4
gayatri_k
Regular Visitor

Following is what I see in PowerBI Service.

gayatri_k_1-1647327958978.png

I have read through more docs and found possibly our Custom connector builds data on the fly by following the below approach and the base paths can't be accessed by directly without authentication headers and tokens. We are already using relative paths, headers and query parameters.
1. validates user by calling our Authentication Public API

2. token is passed to Azure function that returns storage account paths and SAS token allowed to access for the customer
3. Downloading file from storage account and building appropriate navigation table

https://medium.datadriveninvestor.com/setting-a-scheduled-refresh-on-a-dynamic-data-source-in-power-...
I don't see any warning message in Power BI desktop indicating it can't be refreshed.

Any thoughts on how to do we resolve this issue.

gayatri_k
Regular Visitor

I am still stuck with the same issue. I have done all steps as suggested and can't see the gateway settings enabled for the report. From Query Editor on Click Apply I do get notification of data is getting loaded to model and no errors can be seen. The gateway connection is working and custom connector test connection also succeeds. But still no luck with scheduling refresh for a test report that is using custom connector.
What am I missing? 

gayatri_k_0-1647303212379.png

gayatri_k
Regular Visitor

I have saved all the changes and published updated report. I am setting up personal gateway as suggested in doco link that I added in my previous comment but I can't setup refresh schedule.

v-yangliu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi  @gayatri_k ,

Please make sure that you apply all the pending changes by clicking Apply in Query Editor before saving the pbix file in Power BI Desktop. Then you should be able to schedule refresh in Power BI service after you properly configure gateway.

vyangliumsft_0-1643334410799.png

Best Regards,

Liu Yang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Fabric Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Fabric update to learn about new features.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

Top Solution Authors