Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

amallen125
Frequent Visitor

Tangled BI Linked Data Connections in BI

We've got a few situations where users have data connections to two BI Models in a single Excel file.  Same process as 'Analyze in Excel'.  The issue we've been running into is there will be some sort of snag in the refresh process, and Excel will confuse/jumble the data connections.  For example, in the properties of Data Connection 2, nothing will show in the 'used in' tab, and it will now be in the 'used in" tab under the other data connection.  The two connections have different fields/cals, so excel will then throw the "fields have changed, etc." becuase the two data connections have been jumbled.  This isn't something the user is doing, but rather an oddity that spills from a excel refresh gone wrong.  I've tried to get the user to refresh the data connection one at a time, versus the 'refresh all', but the same issue crops up within a few days.

Any help would be appreciated.

4 REPLIES 4
amallen125
Frequent Visitor

I'm still trudging through this intermittent issue.  I've tried all the above fixes, but the issue continues to crop up.  We've been using files with data connections to more than one BI model for years now, but only noticed this issue within the last two months.  It occurs several times a week in a heavily trafficed file, and less often in less busy file, but it's too intermittent for me to correlate something specific to it.  Any advice would be much appreciated.  I'll update here when It's finally resolved.  Thanks,

amallen125
Frequent Visitor

I've rebuilt the connections, resaved the original file in SharePoint to clear any potential sync issues.  I'm already getting the same issue, where data connections are getting moved from one to another.  Same issue.  Any other recommendations?

Thanks,

v-zhengdxu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @amallen125 

Please delete the query and re-add it, may I know whether the issue still exists? Also, please right-click the query, Properties and check the two option “Enable background refresh” and “Enable Fast Data Load”. Please disable the two options and check again.

Best Regards

Zhengdong Xu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thank you, I will try replacing the data connections in Excel today and report back.  Along those same lines, this is a sharepoint file, so I'll replace with a new file, so there are no lingering sync issues that may contribute as well.  I'll report back and let you know how it's working.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

Top Solution Authors