Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

SatNavRedDevils

Tableau to Power BI

My stakeholders would like us to move from Tableau to Power BI.

We have the following presence in Tableau.

• We have a 8 node cluster, each node containing 64 GBs RAM.
  • This environment is hosted in AWS.
  • We manage the upgrade activities in-house.
  • We are extract heavy with a 75% vs 25% split when it comes to extract vs live connections.
  • The maturity level of our Tableau users could be loosely weighted as 35% complex. This means that 35% of our users can be categorized as advanced users.

My questions are the following.

From what I have read, premium capacities range from P1 (25 GB RAM) to P4 (200 GB RAM)

My question?

If we move to Power BI, what would be the minimum & ideal premium capacity which would be required for users to not suffer from a degradation of user experience.?

That's would be 

Minimum= ??

Ideal = ??

Thanks

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
tharunkumarRTK
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

@SatNavRedDevils 

Assuming you want to migrate from On prem Tableau infrastructure to Power BI Service (not the report server). I dont think there is a straight formula/calculator for this.

In Power BI each developer with pro license ($10) will get 1 GB RAM and can host multiple models(< 1 GB) not exceeding 10 GB in total. However the features are very limited. Generally large organisations will allocate Pro licenses to their developers and Free licenses (10000 free licenses for P1) to their report consumers. And will assign few workspaces to Premium capacity on need basis. And small organisations who want to use Premium features allocate Premium Per User licenses (equvilent to P3).

Again it entirely depends and how many models you want to migrate and how large is the usage. In my opnion it is difficult to give the estimates for this migration. In case if you want to start buy a Fabric Capacity F64 (~P1) and allocate pro licenses to your report consumers and build few models then you will be able to find the estimated cost. 

Fabric capacity is a pay for use subscription and you can turn it off if you are not using it.

If the post helps please give a thumbs up

If it solves your issue, please accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Tharun

View solution in original post

AnalyticsWizard
Solution Supplier
Solution Supplier

@SatNavRedDevils 

The minimum and ideal premium capacity for Power BI would depend on several factors such as the numb...1.

1. Minimum Capacity: The minimum capacity would be the P1 SKU, which provides 25 GB of RAM2. This could be sufficient if you have a small number of users and your reports are not too complex or large.

2. Ideal Capacity: The ideal capacity is harder to determine without more specific information about your usage patterns. However, given that you currently have an 8-node cluster with each node containing 64 GBs of RAM in ...2. These SKUs would provide more capacity for larger and more complex reports, as well as more frequent data refreshes.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
AnalyticsWizard
Solution Supplier
Solution Supplier

@SatNavRedDevils 

The minimum and ideal premium capacity for Power BI would depend on several factors such as the numb...1.

1. Minimum Capacity: The minimum capacity would be the P1 SKU, which provides 25 GB of RAM2. This could be sufficient if you have a small number of users and your reports are not too complex or large.

2. Ideal Capacity: The ideal capacity is harder to determine without more specific information about your usage patterns. However, given that you currently have an 8-node cluster with each node containing 64 GBs of RAM in ...2. These SKUs would provide more capacity for larger and more complex reports, as well as more frequent data refreshes.

tharunkumarRTK
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

@SatNavRedDevils 

Assuming you want to migrate from On prem Tableau infrastructure to Power BI Service (not the report server). I dont think there is a straight formula/calculator for this.

In Power BI each developer with pro license ($10) will get 1 GB RAM and can host multiple models(< 1 GB) not exceeding 10 GB in total. However the features are very limited. Generally large organisations will allocate Pro licenses to their developers and Free licenses (10000 free licenses for P1) to their report consumers. And will assign few workspaces to Premium capacity on need basis. And small organisations who want to use Premium features allocate Premium Per User licenses (equvilent to P3).

Again it entirely depends and how many models you want to migrate and how large is the usage. In my opnion it is difficult to give the estimates for this migration. In case if you want to start buy a Fabric Capacity F64 (~P1) and allocate pro licenses to your report consumers and build few models then you will be able to find the estimated cost. 

Fabric capacity is a pay for use subscription and you can turn it off if you are not using it.

If the post helps please give a thumbs up

If it solves your issue, please accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Tharun

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Kudoed Authors