Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

RichardJ
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Smartsheet Connector - anyone else been having refresh issues within the last couple of weeks

The dataflows i have set up to source data from Smartsheet have been woefully unreliable in the last couple of weeks.

They work sporadically so I don't think it's a configuration issue and there has been no significant growth in data (quite the opposite as i've archived/removed a lot of data)

Smartsheet_Non_Responsive.JPG
I've a hunch that the issue may be related to sourcing from Smartsheet Reports (which consolidate Sheets) rather than sourcing from individual sheets.

Errors when they occur suggest the issue is a lack of response from Smartsheet

"DataSource.Error: Web.Contents failed to get contents from 'https://api.smartsheet.com/2.0/reports/......."

" (500): Internal Server Error DataSourceKind = <ccon>Smartsheet</ccon>"

Anyone else having issues with their Smartsheet dataflows?
Thanks,
Richard

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-jianpeng-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @RichardJ 

According to your screenshot, when you plan to refresh Smartsheet, the refresh fails occasionally and a 500 error is reported. It can be seen from the successful refresh that there is no problem with the planned refresh you configured. According to the RFC2616 document, the reasons for the 500 error are as follows:

1. If the server encounters an unexpected situation and cannot run normally, a 500 error will be reported.
  2. When the server acts as a gateway or proxy and does not receive a response from the specified upstream server in time or the DNS search times out, a 500 error will be returned.
  3. A 500 error may occur when the server is temporarily overloaded or undergoing maintenance. This is only a temporary situation and will be alleviated and restored later.
  4. There is a problem with the data source. If lines are added, the structure is changed, or certain necessary structures are deleted, a 500 error will be reported. I've provided links to posts with similar errors below.

I think that the 500 error you encountered is most likely caused by errors reported at points 3 and 4. Did you change the data source before refreshing? If not, then this is a temporary internal error of the server. Additionally, if you have other scheduled refreshes happening at the same time, it may overload the server.

Datasource 500 error URL: https://community.fabric.microsoft.com/t5/Desktop/DataSource-Error-Web-Contents-failed-to-get-data-f...

RFC2616 document: https://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2616.txt

If the above suggestions are helpful to you, that would be great.

How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly

If it does not help, please provide more details with your desired output and pbix file without privacy information (or some sample data) .

Best Regards

Jianpeng Li

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-jianpeng-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @RichardJ 

According to your screenshot, when you plan to refresh Smartsheet, the refresh fails occasionally and a 500 error is reported. It can be seen from the successful refresh that there is no problem with the planned refresh you configured. According to the RFC2616 document, the reasons for the 500 error are as follows:

1. If the server encounters an unexpected situation and cannot run normally, a 500 error will be reported.
  2. When the server acts as a gateway or proxy and does not receive a response from the specified upstream server in time or the DNS search times out, a 500 error will be returned.
  3. A 500 error may occur when the server is temporarily overloaded or undergoing maintenance. This is only a temporary situation and will be alleviated and restored later.
  4. There is a problem with the data source. If lines are added, the structure is changed, or certain necessary structures are deleted, a 500 error will be reported. I've provided links to posts with similar errors below.

I think that the 500 error you encountered is most likely caused by errors reported at points 3 and 4. Did you change the data source before refreshing? If not, then this is a temporary internal error of the server. Additionally, if you have other scheduled refreshes happening at the same time, it may overload the server.

Datasource 500 error URL: https://community.fabric.microsoft.com/t5/Desktop/DataSource-Error-Web-Contents-failed-to-get-data-f...

RFC2616 document: https://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2616.txt

If the above suggestions are helpful to you, that would be great.

How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly

If it does not help, please provide more details with your desired output and pbix file without privacy information (or some sample data) .

Best Regards

Jianpeng Li

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@v-jianpeng-msft Many thanks for the comprehensive response and the link to the RFC2616 document.
None of the data has changed so am confident this issue 3 in the list provided.
Hopefully it's only temporary and will improve.
Thanks,
Richard

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors