Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

AlexW_82
Frequent Visitor

Sharing restricted data to secure website

I work for a local government organisation (England), we are hosted by 1 local authority but the work we do is regional so we do work/share data with other local authorities in the region (Yorkshire).

I have created a dashboard with restricted data that cannot be shared with the public but does need to be shared with specified officers at other authorities. Previously this data has been put into a written report and emailed as a pdf.

We wanted to host the dashboard on a secure part of our website, where named officers that we share the data with, have a log in to a secure/private part of the website to view the dashboard.

I have a pbi pro account, enabling me to publish, but most of my colleagues do not have pbi accounts at all, and the people at other authorities most likely don’t have them either. When we have tried to embed this report on the secure part of our website, my colleague who looks after the website was unable to view the report as she was being prompted to sign in to power bi.

I have built dashboards with public data which are hosted on the public part of our website and anyone can view those without needing to sign up for pbi, they are “published to web (public)”.

I cannot put this restricted data anywhere where it might end up in the public domain. Is there a way to “publish to website or portal” where I don’t need to also act as a Microsoft sales person asking all the people I need to share data with, to sign up to power bi?

I would imagine they all use Microsoft 365/office, but pbi doesn’t seem to come under that area.

Local authorities have a lot of red tape to contend with when it comes to IT, things like this (creating pbi accounts) take a long time (it took 2 years for me to be given the right version of desktop and pro account to share my work internally) and wouldn’t necessarily be done for 1 officer to view 1 dashboard report produced by a different authority.

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yueyunzh-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi , @AlexW_82 

According to your description, you have a Pro License and you want to share your dashboard to external user who has no Power BI License.

First, in Power BI, Embed for ecternal users mainly has the following ways:
(1)Publish to Web: This is what you're using, but it does publish the report to the public network.

(2)Embed a report in a secure portal or website:

This method is to embed the current report into a secure portal, but you need to have a Power BI account to log in to complete authentication.You need to provide a Power BI account for authentication for your end users.

For more information, you can refer to :
Embed a report in a secure portal or website - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

(3)Embed for Customer:
The embed for your customers solution allows you to build an app that uses non-interactive authentication against Power BI. Your customers are likely to be external users, and they don't need to sign in using Power BI credentials to view the embedded content.

Power BI embedded analytics overview - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

And for this solution, when you move to production you'll need a capacity.
Embed content in your Power BI embedded analytics application - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Capacity and SKUs in Power BI embedded analytics - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Thank you for your time and sharing, and thank you for your support and understanding of PowerBI! 

Best Regards,

Aniya Zhang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
v-yueyunzh-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi , @AlexW_82 

According to your description, you have a Pro License and you want to share your dashboard to external user who has no Power BI License.

First, in Power BI, Embed for ecternal users mainly has the following ways:
(1)Publish to Web: This is what you're using, but it does publish the report to the public network.

(2)Embed a report in a secure portal or website:

This method is to embed the current report into a secure portal, but you need to have a Power BI account to log in to complete authentication.You need to provide a Power BI account for authentication for your end users.

Embed a report in a secure portal or website - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

(3)Embed for Customer:
The embed for your customers solution allows you to build an app that uses non-interactive authentication against Power BI. Your customers are likely to be external users, and they don't need to sign in using Power BI credentials to view the embedded content.

Power BI embedded analytics overview - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

And for this solution, when you move to production you'll need a capacity.
Embed content in your Power BI embedded analytics application - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Capacity and SKUs in Power BI embedded analytics - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Thank you for your time and sharing, and thank you for your support and understanding of PowerBI! 

Best Regards,

Aniya Zhang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors