Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

IAM
Helper III
Helper III

Share one report with external guest user

Hi!

Can anyone tell me the best option to share one power bi report to 20external guest users?

Shall I pay a power bi pro license for them? Or do they need a premium license?

Or can I have a cheaper option, since they only need to see just one report?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-cazheng-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @IAM,

Currently, Power BI doesn’t provide such notifications about the license info of content recipients. But you can check with the external recipients what kind of licenses they are using.

License type can be seen after clicking on the Profile icon. For more details, you can refer to Types of licenses for Power BI business users - Power BI | Microsoft Docs.

vcazhengmsft_0-1655257679484.png

Basically, if you share your content from a Shared capacity workspace(no diamond icon beside the workspace name), then the recipients needs Pro/Premium Per User license.

If your content is resided in a Premium Per User capacity workspace, then the viewers need Premium Per User license as well.

If you are sharing from workspace in Premium capacity, then users with free license, Pro license and Premium Per User license can all access the content.

In the scenarios that share with external users, Power BI will handle like this. If the external users have Pro/Premium Per User license, then they will access your shared content with the license from their own organization. In the case, their licenses are paid by their own organization. If they don’t have the required licenses, then you could consider assign a Pro/Premium Per User license from your organization as well. In this situation, your organization pays for them. In a word, if they already have Pro/Premium Per User license, they will view the content with current licenses. Otherwise, the content won’t load for them and they will see errors.

The Licenses need to be purchased except free license. Only if you have completed the purchase process, you will get the purchased licenses. The purchase is carried by users and Power BI won’t do it automatically. So you will have a clear clue on the cost for Power BI experience.

For the price and product comparison on licenses in Power BI, you could refer to Pricing & Product Comparison | Microsoft Power BI.

If there is any post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly. If I misunderstand your needs or you still have problems on it, please let me know. Thanks a lot!

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Caiyun

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-cazheng-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @IAM,

Currently, Power BI doesn’t provide such notifications about the license info of content recipients. But you can check with the external recipients what kind of licenses they are using.

License type can be seen after clicking on the Profile icon. For more details, you can refer to Types of licenses for Power BI business users - Power BI | Microsoft Docs.

vcazhengmsft_0-1655257679484.png

Basically, if you share your content from a Shared capacity workspace(no diamond icon beside the workspace name), then the recipients needs Pro/Premium Per User license.

If your content is resided in a Premium Per User capacity workspace, then the viewers need Premium Per User license as well.

If you are sharing from workspace in Premium capacity, then users with free license, Pro license and Premium Per User license can all access the content.

In the scenarios that share with external users, Power BI will handle like this. If the external users have Pro/Premium Per User license, then they will access your shared content with the license from their own organization. In the case, their licenses are paid by their own organization. If they don’t have the required licenses, then you could consider assign a Pro/Premium Per User license from your organization as well. In this situation, your organization pays for them. In a word, if they already have Pro/Premium Per User license, they will view the content with current licenses. Otherwise, the content won’t load for them and they will see errors.

The Licenses need to be purchased except free license. Only if you have completed the purchase process, you will get the purchased licenses. The purchase is carried by users and Power BI won’t do it automatically. So you will have a clear clue on the cost for Power BI experience.

For the price and product comparison on licenses in Power BI, you could refer to Pricing & Product Comparison | Microsoft Power BI.

If there is any post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly. If I misunderstand your needs or you still have problems on it, please let me know. Thanks a lot!

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Caiyun

Hi @v-cazheng-msft ,

Just want to make sure if I do understand correctly, I require a Premium Per Capacity assigned to the workspace for my guest users to be able to view the reports without any license?

Capture.PNG

Hope to here from you soon.

Regards,

IAM
Helper III
Helper III

Thanks! Just one more question.. If a user already has a Power BI Pro or Premium license themselves, do I get a notification? Or does Microsoft just let me pay for no reason?

Fowmy
Super User
Super User

@IAM 

Please refer to this article, it exlains it clearmy for you: https://mikehatheway.com/2019/06/11/power-bi-sharing-with-external-users/

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! and hit thumbs up

Subscribe and learn Power BI from these videos

Website LinkedIn PBI User Group

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors