Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

fab
Helper I
Helper I

Security RLS on service

Hi,

I created a report with a RLS.

User connected (userprincipalname()) mut only see his projects. 

I created a role in PBI Desktop, test it and it works well.

I published the report on the service and add users to the role (here too it's ok when I test the role,).

But when I open the report with my account, the rôle does not apply and I see all data.

Did I forget something ? 

I would like security to apply to every user from the moment the report is opened.

Thank for your help

Fab

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you have Admin rights to a workspace, you pretty much ignore RLS.  Try testing it with a user that does not have the editting rights to the report like you do.

View solution in original post

v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI @fab,

Current RLS only works on read only right, if users has edit permission, RLS feature will be disabled.

Using RLS with app workspaces in Power BI

If you publish your Power BI Desktop report to an app workspace within the Power BI service, the roles will be applied to read-only members. You will need to indicate that members can only view Power BI content within the app workspace settings.

Warning:

If you have configured the app workspace so that members have edit permissions, the RLS roles will not be applied to them. Users will be able to see all of the data.

Reference:

Row-level security (RLS) with Power BI

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
prasanna18890
Regular Visitor

solved

v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI @fab,

Current RLS only works on read only right, if users has edit permission, RLS feature will be disabled.

Using RLS with app workspaces in Power BI

If you publish your Power BI Desktop report to an app workspace within the Power BI service, the roles will be applied to read-only members. You will need to indicate that members can only view Power BI content within the app workspace settings.

Warning:

If you have configured the app workspace so that members have edit permissions, the RLS roles will not be applied to them. Users will be able to see all of the data.

Reference:

Row-level security (RLS) with Power BI

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you have Admin rights to a workspace, you pretty much ignore RLS.  Try testing it with a user that does not have the editting rights to the report like you do.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

Top Solution Authors