Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

mrossi
Frequent Visitor

Scheduled refresh takes incrementally longer with each refresh

I have a 14MB dataset that refreshes in under 5 minutes immeadiately after it's republished, but with each scheduled refresh the duration becomes longer (see image below) to the point that it takes over an hour for the data to come in. This report has been live since February, but we started confronting this problem around a month ago. The only way to get it to go down is republishing.

The dataset is setup for large storage fomat, it is in import mode, and there is no incremental refresh. There is a second report that connects through Power BI dataset sourcing to a measures table the original report has. Can this second live connection be impacting the original refresh? 

mrossi_0-1662556666516.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
mrossi
Frequent Visitor

Problem is solved! Dataset was set to have Query Caching ON, as soon as we turned this off, all scheduled refreshes have been running successfully in under 4 minutes.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
CamiloHC

Mrossi where you can put off the Querying Catching, in my optiuons I cant:

CamiloHC_0-1695149226494.png

mrossi
Frequent Visitor

Problem is solved! Dataset was set to have Query Caching ON, as soon as we turned this off, all scheduled refreshes have been running successfully in under 4 minutes.

Great to hear, thanks for the update!

Query cache gets refreshed when a dataset is refreshed, but I am surprised it has a significant effect to your dataset refresh duration. Good to know that. 

Tutu_in_YYC
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi mrossi,

A second report that has live connetion should not affect the refresh time of the dataset.

There are many reasons why a refresh can take longer than usual:

1. capacity size ( shared or premium)
  2. traffic ( when do you refresh )
  3. queueing of services 
  4. data source ( what connections that are involved and are these connection stable and fast )
  5. data size 
  6. and more

But i agree form 5mins to >30mins, seems a lot but not impossible based on the amount of data.

Is there an unexpected large amount of data going into the dataset? I have encountered an issue where the datasource table was multiplying rows exponentially due to a fail merge in the pipeline. To start, try comparing the amount of rows ( and pbix size) in the original pbix and the one that has >30mins refresh time.

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors