Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

tabilo2020
Regular Visitor

SaaS and Multi-Tenancy (Using no code reports for multiple clients)

Hi

I am looking for a video guide to use power Bi as SaaS and Multi-Tenancy to visualize data and deliver no code report/ dashboards to multiple clients.
How do I configure and provide isolate access to each customer for their reports and data?
Customers do not have power bi and external. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @tabilo2020,

#1, I think you can upload these files to onedrive for business, then you can refer to below document to get data from shared links: (notice: you can create a report and parameterize your connection string with query parameters and save it as a template to quick generated other reports based on the different file link and publish them to power bi service side)

Use OneDrive for Business links in Power BI Desktop 

#2, Did these users have PRO license or you shared them in premium capacity?

If this is a case, you can directly share the report/dashboards to these external accounts and they will receive the share notice email to view shared contents. (they can click on that link to view power bi contents based on with their own credentials; for other users who know that link not able to use their credentials to access)

Share Power BI dashboards and reports with coworkers and others 

If they not, you can consider using 'publish to web' feature to share, it not require any advanced license but also not include security settings. (other users who know this link can view these shared contents) Maybe you can publish this to your own website who existed account verification system to reduce this.

Publish to web from Power BI 

#3, Power bi includes service and mobile app version which can use with power bi accounts. They can use a web browser(pc/mobile) or mobile app to access shared content.

#4, As I said, you can upload these files to onedrive for business and stored in different folders, then you can control folder permission to only allow edit their own content.

Permissions, sharing and synching for OneDrive for Business 

For power bi refresh, you can refer to the below document:

Data refresh in Power BI 

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
vanessafvg
Super User
Super User

will this video help https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1vVFoKKrwE

https://blog.crossjoin.co.uk/2017/03/23/quick-tip-working-with-multiple-power-bi-subscriptionsaccoun...

when you say do not have power bi and external please elaborate - power bi embedded is another option

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!

Thank you so much for your reply.

I am dealing with customers who don't have power Bi installed. they don't even know what tool I use to visualize reports from the data each customer provided to me in an excel sheet. My visualisation does not require any coding but simply using existing reports and templates. However, I am not sure how to manage the following scenario in Power BI

Let's say I have 10 customers and each has provided me with an excel sheet to visualize data. My questions are 

1. How do I store each excel sheet in power BI separately so I can give access to each customer to his/her excel sheet only? Can I give folder level access if using one drive?

2. Once I created the reports and dashboards, how can I give access to each customer to view his or her reports/ dashboards ? And how can I prevent the customer from seeing other customers reports?

3. How a customer can view his/ reports on mobile or desktop without installing power BI? I think I can send a link but how do I authenticate?

4. If a customer wants to update the dataset on an ongoing basis for me to update report regularly then how can I give him/her self access to upload the files directly to power bi i.e one drive? And how can I prevent the customer from seeing other customers excel sheets?
I don't need to clone or write codes to personalize to  reports, I just use standards visualisations

Hi @tabilo2020,

#1, I think you can upload these files to onedrive for business, then you can refer to below document to get data from shared links: (notice: you can create a report and parameterize your connection string with query parameters and save it as a template to quick generated other reports based on the different file link and publish them to power bi service side)

Use OneDrive for Business links in Power BI Desktop 

#2, Did these users have PRO license or you shared them in premium capacity?

If this is a case, you can directly share the report/dashboards to these external accounts and they will receive the share notice email to view shared contents. (they can click on that link to view power bi contents based on with their own credentials; for other users who know that link not able to use their credentials to access)

Share Power BI dashboards and reports with coworkers and others 

If they not, you can consider using 'publish to web' feature to share, it not require any advanced license but also not include security settings. (other users who know this link can view these shared contents) Maybe you can publish this to your own website who existed account verification system to reduce this.

Publish to web from Power BI 

#3, Power bi includes service and mobile app version which can use with power bi accounts. They can use a web browser(pc/mobile) or mobile app to access shared content.

#4, As I said, you can upload these files to onedrive for business and stored in different folders, then you can control folder permission to only allow edit their own content.

Permissions, sharing and synching for OneDrive for Business 

For power bi refresh, you can refer to the below document:

Data refresh in Power BI 

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors