Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

Conor-h
Regular Visitor

Restricting which visuals allow export to Excel

Hi,

I have a report hosted on the service, and I'm looking to restrict which visuals a user can export data to excel from.
Some tables we're more than happy for the user to export the data, but certain visuals (mainly matrices) which export the data in a different format to how it is presented within the report mean that the user only gets confused by looking at the exported data.

To avoid this, I'm looking to restrict what visuals allow for the Export to Excel, but still allow certain visuals to export.
I came across this post:
https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Export-to-Excel/m-p/1553396
The best approach I can find (inspired from the above post) is to disable the visual header for the visuals we don't want users to export data from? That way when it's on PowerBI service they won't have access to that option for those specific visuals.

Would there be a better way of doing things?
Appreciate any feedback 🙂

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
collinq
Super User
Super User

Hi @Conor-h ,

The disable-ing of the header should work just fine as a work-around from a specific methodology way to do it.  I don't have time right now but I would suggest that you test this that when the user selects that visual to get focus on it (full-screen view) if they then get to export from there.

At this time, there does not appear to be a way to exclude a single visual from a dashboard/report from being exported.  Sounds like something you could turn in as an idea!

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!
Private message me for consulting or training needs.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
collinq
Super User
Super User

Hi @Conor-h ,

The disable-ing of the header should work just fine as a work-around from a specific methodology way to do it.  I don't have time right now but I would suggest that you test this that when the user selects that visual to get focus on it (full-screen view) if they then get to export from there.

At this time, there does not appear to be a way to exclude a single visual from a dashboard/report from being exported.  Sounds like something you could turn in as an idea!

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!
Private message me for consulting or training needs.

Hi Collinq,

Awesome - thanks for the feedback!
I gave it a check and yep, even with disabling the visual header the user can view it as a table, which (at least in my case) seems to be the same format as exporting the summarised data - however it will be useful if we were required to allow underlying data export for some visuals, but restrict the export on others!

I'll submit that into the ideas! Thanks 😄

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors