Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

Essjay
Frequent Visitor

Reporting on shared semantic model across Premium and Pro workspaces

I have the following use case:

Power BI Premium workspace W1 with semantic models: M1 , M2, M3,...... Mn

Power BI Pro workspace W2 with reports created off of models in W1 workspace: R1, R2, R3,.... Rn

Power BI App A2 with reports R1, R2, etc. created for PRO workspace W2. 

1. What limitations can I expect for above use case?

2. How will the end users access of reports of App A2 that is created off of Pro workspace W2 will be impacted?

3. Is this a good architecture for Power BI reporting where we want to separated semantic models from reports created by end users?

4. Is the report performance expected to be btter since the source semantic model now resides in Premium workspace?

Any help is appreciated!

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @Essjay 

1. You should be able to use Power bi free licences with the Power BI app a 2 and those reports within the app.

2. The end users should be able to easily consume the reports by the app.

3. Yes, it is good architecture to separate the semantic model from the reports. This means if you have to make a change to the semantic model, it will not affect the reports as well as if you have to make a change to the reports, you will not have to update the semantic model.

4. You can expect consistent performance in the premium workspace for your semantic model. I would highly recommend you follow best practises to ensure that your model is as efficient as possible.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

View solution in original post

Hi @Essjay 

As far as I understand as long as the semantic model is using Premium Capacity then all reports can have a Power BI Free license.

Power BI Blog

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @Essjay 

1. You should be able to use Power bi free licences with the Power BI app a 2 and those reports within the app.

2. The end users should be able to easily consume the reports by the app.

3. Yes, it is good architecture to separate the semantic model from the reports. This means if you have to make a change to the semantic model, it will not affect the reports as well as if you have to make a change to the reports, you will not have to update the semantic model.

4. You can expect consistent performance in the premium workspace for your semantic model. I would highly recommend you follow best practises to ensure that your model is as efficient as possible.

Power BI Blog

@GilbertQ Thanks for replying! I was wondering if the app A2 has reports from PRO workspace then how will I be able to use free licenses for app users? Only the semantic model resides in Premium workspace!

Hi @Essjay 

As far as I understand as long as the semantic model is using Premium Capacity then all reports can have a Power BI Free license.

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors