Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Report access to edit and download

Hi ,

We have created something similar to adhoc report. It will allow user to download the adhoc report and built their own visuals.

My query is since there will be multiple users using this adhoc report, i want to restrict users to delete another users report, and at the same time they should have access to download the adhoc report as well. Is there any way to achieve this?

Regards,

Priyanga

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

if they all have access to create reports in a workspace there is no way to limit with permissions what people do unless i misunderstand what you are asking.  The best way to manage people to not overwrite other reports is via training.

Secondly, dont let them download reports from the workspace to change it.  I think 2 other options might be better depending on what your requirements are. 

Make them create their own reports either by sharing a templated file from sharepoint or one drive

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/create-reports/desktop-templates

or by making them only connect to the dataset via their power bi desktop.  Create the dataset in the workspace, this way they dont need to download the file from the workspace.    They can then access this in their power bi desktop.

vanessafvg_0-1665903377406.png

do this by creating a dataset of your model in the workspace.  They then via power bi desktop they connect to that dataset without having to download any file.

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/desktop-report-lifecycle-datasets

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
vanessafvg
Super User
Super User

So what you are saying is you have a built a dataset and you want users to build their reports on this dataset?

If are they downloading it  into power bi desktop, doing some analysis and then reuploading and overriting the current adhoc reports?  How are they able to delete another users report?

It might be better To create one dataset and all reports thast are built build off the central power bi dataset.  People can then create their own reports but just l link to the dataset in the work space via a power bi dataset connection.

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @vanessafvg ,

So what you are saying is you have a built a dataset and you want users to build their reports on this dataset? - Yes

If are they downloading it  into power bi desktop, doing some analysis and then reuploading and overriting the current adhoc reports?  How are they able to delete another users report? -  no not edit the centralised report. Based on centralised report they will create their own reports and upload again. So how can we restrict users to delete or update another users report

Thanks,

Priyanga

if they all have access to create reports in a workspace there is no way to limit with permissions what people do unless i misunderstand what you are asking.  The best way to manage people to not overwrite other reports is via training.

Secondly, dont let them download reports from the workspace to change it.  I think 2 other options might be better depending on what your requirements are. 

Make them create their own reports either by sharing a templated file from sharepoint or one drive

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/create-reports/desktop-templates

or by making them only connect to the dataset via their power bi desktop.  Create the dataset in the workspace, this way they dont need to download the file from the workspace.    They can then access this in their power bi desktop.

vanessafvg_0-1665903377406.png

do this by creating a dataset of your model in the workspace.  They then via power bi desktop they connect to that dataset without having to download any file.

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/desktop-report-lifecycle-datasets

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors