Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

PshemekFLK
Helper IV
Helper IV

Replace the dataset only once it's refreshed in service

I have a published report that is updated daily automatically with the new data.

Last time I made changes to the model/measures was few days ago so my pbix version is missing few days of data. I can't refresh it in PBI desktop due to memory issues. I can only refresh in service.

How can I republish my report without overwriting with dataset that's few days old. The refresh in service takes 15 min so during this 15 min users will see incomplete data. How can I avoid this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @PshemekFLK 

You could look at using Incremental refreshing and the XMLA end point if you are using Power BI Premium or Premium Per User?

Or you could publish it at a time when there is not a lot of usage on the Power BI report?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @PshemekFLK 

You could look at using Incremental refreshing and the XMLA end point if you are using Power BI Premium or Premium Per User?

Or you could publish it at a time when there is not a lot of usage on the Power BI report?

Power BI Blog

For anyone looking for the solution XLMA endpoint is indeed the way to go using ALM toolkit (free add-on to Power BI). You can learn more here: 

Deploy Power BI dataset schema changes WITHOUT refreshing! - YouTube

@GilbertQ ,

I'm already using incremental refresh but it only helps with reducing the refresh time in the service. In Power BI desktop I need to refresh the complete data hence the memory issue. Publishing it at a time when there is not a lot of usage is also not an option as report is heavily used in different time zones. How can I use XMLA end point in this case?

Hi @PshemekFLK 

With the XMLA end point you can just deploy the changes to your Incremental refresh policy. When doing this you will not have to reload all the data. It will update the partition refresh policy.

Upon the next refresh it would then process and add in the new partitions based on your settings.

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors