Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

TCPBI3

Recommended CPU usage for a premium capacity?

For example, say I have a Premium Capacity in Power BI. P3 with 32 V-Cores. How much CPU(s) in a weekly timeframe should I be using on that capacity to maintain an optimal performance? I have been searching for a CPU(s)/V-Core ratio that is reccommended but I cannot find anything and Microsoft support has not been able to answer either. I believe this would be beneficial information just for overall capacity planing & management.

The data has to be out there as you can see the CPU(s) listed on the Capacity Metrics report. Has anyone else had this curiousity before and if you have a ratio that is working optimally for you please share.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @TCPBI3 

The reason that I think no one has put the details out there is because everyone's datasets are different. The way the datasets are modeled is different. As well as how the DAX measures are created. All of that will affect the CPU performance.

What I would say is as long as you are within your CPU usage and it is working well that is a good sign. Quite often there are ways to optimize the dataset or measures. That can depend on a whole host of things. And typically it would require someone with a lot of experience in tabular modelling and DAX.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
TCPBI3

Thanks Gilbert, I understand that. I am mainly trying to avoid an overloading scenario when attempting to consolidate resources. I figured there would not be an ideal number but it was worth the ask. I appreciate the response.

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @TCPBI3 

The reason that I think no one has put the details out there is because everyone's datasets are different. The way the datasets are modeled is different. As well as how the DAX measures are created. All of that will affect the CPU performance.

What I would say is as long as you are within your CPU usage and it is working well that is a good sign. Quite often there are ways to optimize the dataset or measures. That can depend on a whole host of things. And typically it would require someone with a lot of experience in tabular modelling and DAX.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

Top Solution Authors