Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

rlmeyer
Resolver I
Resolver I

Real-Time Data with Datasets or Datamarts

Is it possible for either Datasets or Datamarts to be live linked "Real-time" to my dataset in Azure SQL? I have a report that is using direct query to link back to either the Dataset or Datamart. If I make a change to the underlying Azure SQL data and click refresh on the report, nothing happens. If I manually refresh the Dataset or Datamart it will then update the report. 

I also attempted to use direct query straight from the Azure SQL source and that works but all the ETLs are taxing and can cause the visuals to timeout. I was hoping to use Datasets or Datamarts to do the heavy lifting but the data needs to be real-time. 

Is this possible or can you provide another suggestion on what I should look into in order to achieve this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yetao1-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @rlmeyer 

You can cofigure scheduled refresh for your dataset or datamart .

Power BI Datamart Integration in the Power BI Ecosystem - RADACAD

You can also use Power Automate to refresh your datamart or dataset automatically .

Power BI | Microsoft Power Automate

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Ailsa Tao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-yetao1-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @rlmeyer 

You can cofigure scheduled refresh for your dataset or datamart .

Power BI Datamart Integration in the Power BI Ecosystem - RADACAD

You can also use Power Automate to refresh your datamart or dataset automatically .

Power BI | Microsoft Power Automate

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Ailsa Tao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

otravers
Community Champion
Community Champion

Have you looked at automatic page refresh with DirectQuery?

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/create-reports/desktop-automatic-page-refresh#automatic-pa...

------------------------------------------------
1. How to get your question answered quickly - good questions get good answers!
2. Learning how to fish > being spoon-fed without active thinking.
3. Please accept as a solution posts that resolve your questions.
BI Blog: Datamarts | RLS/OLS | Dev Tools | Languages | Aggregations | XMLA/APIs | Field Parameters | Custom Visuals

I have not, that's a neat feature that I was unaware of - thanks!

It doesn't appear to refresh the dataset/datamart data though. Those sources are only getting updated manually or if I schedule a refresh. I am needing those sources to be "real-time".

otravers
Community Champion
Community Champion

Refreshing the dataset/datamart is for Import mode, the whole point of DQ is that you send live queries back to the data source.

Import is not going to be real time by definition. You could refresh fairly aggressively but you'd want to use incremental refresh.

1. How to get your question answered quickly - good questions get good answers!
2. Learning how to fish > being spoon-fed without active thinking.
3. Please accept as a solution posts that resolve your questions.
BI Blog: Datamarts | RLS/OLS | Dev Tools | Languages | Aggregations | XMLA/APIs | Field Parameters | Custom Visuals

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

Top Solution Authors