Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

vanessafvg
Super User
Super User

RLS for individuals

I need to create a model that has a variety of agents accessing it -  each should only see there own data - to set them up using row level security do I create a role for each user, and then add the users email to each of those roles? is that the best way to do it?

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@vanessafvg It sounds like you want to use Dynamic RLS. This method allows you to use a dynamic way to filter data within the model. Really high level, it requires you to build a mapping table with the user info and what they will be filtered by. Here are a couple links that will get you headed in the right direction, but essentially this method calls for 1 role, and DAX is used to recognize the user and filter the model accordingly.

This example is for a full tabular model build, but is relevant to the Desktop

And this example by Reza Rad show a simple implementation using the Desktop

and a final tips portion from @GilbertQ can be found here

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

@vanessafvg It sounds like you want to use Dynamic RLS. This method allows you to use a dynamic way to filter data within the model. Really high level, it requires you to build a mapping table with the user info and what they will be filtered by. Here are a couple links that will get you headed in the right direction, but essentially this method calls for 1 role, and DAX is used to recognize the user and filter the model accordingly.

This example is for a full tabular model build, but is relevant to the Desktop

And this example by Reza Rad show a simple implementation using the Desktop

and a final tips portion from @GilbertQ can be found here

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Thank you @Seth_C_Bauer

Can you please let us know if we can implement Dynamic RLS for On-premises Power BI Report Service?

Thank you in advance.

@catalind86 Yes, RLS will work in PBI Report Server

great info thanks.

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors