Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

carlosyanez
Frequent Visitor

R in Power BI Service does not work

Hi !

I have a dashboard that is using R visualisations, both "R scripts" and an R custom visual .  Both visualisation types work perfectly fine in Power BI Desktop, but when in the Service I get the below error message for all of them:

Script Runtime Error

An error occurred while running the script

Please try again later or contact support. If you contact support, please provide these details

Activity ID: 100b9750-374e-442d-ad84-2b26649ea685
Request ID: af07e5b8-aa61-130b-4c97-86364f2e3196
Correlation ID: 87b03449-f8ea-58a1-3600-ca7d61d07995
Time: Fri Feb 17 2023 23:15:28 GMT+1100 (Australian Eastern Daylight Time)
Service version: 13.0.20105.47
Client version: 2302.2.12402-train
Cluster URI: https://wabi-west-europe-e-primary-redirect.analysis.windows.net/

I've tried across two Pro tenancies - for one I am the admin and I can see that R/Python visuals and uncertified custom visuals are  enabled (In Admin Portal > Tenant Settings). As per the documentation, I am only using CRAN packages (tidyverse and {echarts4r}).

Unfortunately, the error message is not allowing to undestand what's going on. What am I missing here?

Kind Regards,

Carlos

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
carlosyanez
Frequent Visitor

After tinkering a bit, I think the issue is related to Power BI not correctly passing column names with spaces, which cause the runtime to crash. When I removed the spaces in names, Power BI service was able to to render the visuals.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
carlosyanez
Frequent Visitor

After tinkering a bit, I think the issue is related to Power BI not correctly passing column names with spaces, which cause the runtime to crash. When I removed the spaces in names, Power BI service was able to to render the visuals.

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

You need to use a personal gateway to run R or Python visuals on the Power BI Service.

I am a bit confused, the documentation does not mention this requirement : https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/visuals/service-r-visuals . Can you please clarify?

Sorry, my bad. The limitation is for service refresh of Power Query queries containing R script, not for the rendering.

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors