Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

B_Whizz

Query Parameters update semantic model but not report visuals

I've built a semantic model that connects to 5 different data sources and in Power Query I've defined two query parameters, a range start and a range end, both date time values. The parameters are used to filter on the 'created on date/time' fields on the 5 data sources so that created on date is on or after 'Range Start' parameter, and on or before the 'Range End' parameter. The parameters work great in Power BI Desktop, I can adjust either of the parameters to change the date range for the 5 data sources I'm connecting to and these dates are reflected in the data visualised in the report.

However, when I publish to the Power BI service the parameters don't work as expected. I have the ability to change the parameters, but once I've applied new parameters, clicked apply, refreshed semantic model, then the changes are not reflected in the report.

I've connected live to the semantic model and also used the 'Explore Data' function in the service and can confirm the parameters have changed the date range for the data in the semantic model, but the report visuals do not update at all. I've refreshed visuals, checked filters and bookmarks, and tried clearing my browser cache but no joy so far. 

I should note that each time I'm updating the parameters I am extending the date range, so the Range End goes out by a month each time. I've tested making the date range smaller by reducing the Range End by a month or two and this does affect the report visuals. But not if I want to expand the range.

Am I missing something here?

1 REPLY 1
v-yohua-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @B_Whizz 

It's important to make sure that the Automatically apply filters option is enabled for paginated report visuals. When this setting is enabled, paginated report visuals can automatically update when filters are applied or other visuals that affect the field selected for the parameter value are updated. You can check the following link:
Create and use the paginated report visual - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

If you're using custom visuals, make sure they're up to date. Power BI admins can manage and update their organization's custom visuals, which can sometimes resolve issues where visuals aren't updating as expected. You can check the following link:

Main sources for acquiring Power BI custom visuals - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Consider using the Pause visuals feature in Power BI Desktop to optimize report authoring performance. This feature allows you to pause the visual sending a query to the data source every time a change is made, which is especially useful when adjusting parameters and filters. When you're done making changes, you can resume the visual query to update the visual. You can see the document:

DirectQuery optimization scenarios with the Optimize ribbon in Power BI Desktop - Power BI | Microso...

How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly 

Best Regards

Yongkang Hua

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors