Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

unusedgrade
Frequent Visitor

Problems in updating credentials to an existing PBI Service (BigQuery)

Hello, 

I have an issue with invalid credentials. The dataset was formerly under a deleted email ("The dataset owner doesn't appear to be in Microsoft Azure Active Directory (Azure AD)") and I took ownership of this in order to refresh this and previous credentials are lost. The PowerBI Service gets data from BigQuery. I am unable to refresh credentials/input a new service account credentials (to the same db) as the pop-up does not offer service account login.

Works fine on a fresh PowerBI Desktop though. Is this a feature or something that I can work-around. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hey Eason,

I was able to resolve this problem. When authenticating/refreshing credentials:

Authentication method: Basic

email: <insert service account email>

password: <insert json-file content (one-line-format)>

This is stated here. I just got confused as there were no service account login. Link to proper documentation: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-query/connectors/googlebigquery#authenticating-through-a-goog...

Cheers!

Edit1: added link

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-easonf-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @unusedgrade 

Please refer to the process in the link below for the takeover of the dataset.

https://www.c-sharpcorner.com/article/how-to-handle-power-bi-data-refresh-error-refresh-token-expire... 

Try to select OAuth2 in Authentication Method as depicted below and click on Sign in. 

veasonfmsft_0-1652684427562.png

If the popup does not offer service account login, clear the cache or try with other browsers.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Eason

The log-in windows does not offer the service account -option. Tried on 3 different browsers (with/without incognito/private) and cleared cache. The database is on Google Cloud and it uses the BigQuery. Works fine on in Desktop - tried to publish it again, but stops functioning after transitions to BI Service. The snapshot just redirects to google log-in but nowhere where to input .json (no service account log-in).

Thanks for reply!

Hi, @unusedgrade 

I can't reproduce your problem here.

If the problem persists, it is recommended to create a support ticket to let MS engineers look into the issue on your side. 

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Eason

Hey Eason,

I was able to resolve this problem. When authenticating/refreshing credentials:

Authentication method: Basic

email: <insert service account email>

password: <insert json-file content (one-line-format)>

This is stated here. I just got confused as there were no service account login. Link to proper documentation: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-query/connectors/googlebigquery#authenticating-through-a-goog...

Cheers!

Edit1: added link

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Fabric Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Fabric update to learn about new features.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors