Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

PowerBi Azure DevOps OData WorkItem hierarchy

Hi guys,

Been tinkering around with Azure Devops and PowerBi through OData lately and stumbled upon the same problem multiple of times.
Completely understand the OData queries and all but can't seem to find a logical way to create a hierarchy in the powerbi model. 

Options I've tried:
Retrieve Epics, Features and User Stories on three seperate occasions and put them into three seperate tables and create relations between them. Problem: When Area, Boardlocation, Users  and Iterations are also retrieved only one of the three (epic, feature, user story) can have a relation to them.

Options I've looked into but didn't seem to be a solution:
Retrieving WorkItemLink (SourceWorkItemId & TargetWorkItemId) and trying to make a relation but does not activate because of a loop. 

Does anyone have any experience with this? I'd be glad to know. Cheers!

Current layout:

achmeaboy_0-1683625717995.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ibarrau
Super User
Super User

Hi. Regarding data modeling I would build a single dimension for User Stories with minimun and necessary columns with left join for features and epics. It's like classic scenario of Product, Product SubCategory and Product Category of adventure works. The maximum granularity is stories. So take it al repeated and redundant in there. A Story dimension will have all categorical story values + feature name + epic name. You can also take other columns that will help you relate with tables like userid.

That would be the way to model that.

I hope that make sense

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
ibarrau
Super User
Super User

Hi. Regarding data modeling I would build a single dimension for User Stories with minimun and necessary columns with left join for features and epics. It's like classic scenario of Product, Product SubCategory and Product Category of adventure works. The maximum granularity is stories. So take it al repeated and redundant in there. A Story dimension will have all categorical story values + feature name + epic name. You can also take other columns that will help you relate with tables like userid.

That would be the way to model that.

I hope that make sense

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors