Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

raken
Frequent Visitor

PowerBI Recognizes mySQL as Cloud-based

Until recently, I was able to access MySQL data via a personal on-premises data gateway without any issues. However, a few days ago, it suddenly started being recognized as cloud-based, leading to authentication failures that have left me at a loss. Interestingly, I can still update data without any problems on Power BI Desktop. This sudden shift and the discrepancy between the Desktop and cloud experiences have me puzzled, and I would greatly appreciate any advice or insights.

19 REPLIES 19
Helena_94

Hello 🙂 Indeed, finally an answer to the issue I have been facing now for weeks without any clue what changed 🙂 

I am so happy to see that I am not crazy, it would be really nice maybe to put a message on the UI to calm the end user because I tried to reinstall the gateway so many time already, not really understanding what changed in the configuration.

Indeed, mySQL database is not accessible on the cloud, and I do not have the right to set up the entreprise gateway, so it would really help if this would be fixed by Microsoft! 🙂 

waraujo
Frequent Visitor

Hello Community.
I received information that the Microsoft product team really made a change and as a side effect, MySQL data sources are no longer recognized by the Personal Gateway. It seems to me that the development team is already aware of this “but still does not have a date for solution”, and I believe they are also following this forum.
We need to gather the community now and reinforce the need to resume functionality as quickly as possible given the great impact it is causing with several users. I believe that this decision to change was not so assertive. Let’s reinforce this topic in order to bring to the development team or even the Microsoft product management the dissatisfaction with the problem, and what this generates in our working days.
Strength community.

waraujo
Frequent Visitor

Hello Community.
I received information that the Microsoft product team really made a change and as a side effect, MySQL data sources are no longer recognized by the Personal Gateway. It seems to me that the development team is already aware of this “but still does not have a date for solution”, and I believe they are also following this forum.
We need to gather the community now and reinforce the need to resume functionality as quickly as possible given the great impact it is causing with several users. I believe that this decision to change was not so assertive. Let’s reinforce this topic in order to bring to the development team or even the Microsoft product management the dissatisfaction with the problem, and what this generates in our working days.
Strength community.

MainlineData
Frequent Visitor

Glad it isn't just me going mad! I thought I'd caused a huge problem within our Power BI set up last night until I found your ticket as well and realised it was due to the personal gateway treating mySQL as a cloud source and not on-premise (and needing the gateway).

I'm flicking back all my connections to ODBC in the interim as they work still (a pain but it'll get you working again?)

Also found csv's that would normally refresh fine as a data source also can't, so that's fun!

All this because I was trying to get a new report to schedule, and I ended up toppling everything else that was working (and shouldn't have been)

vikramramagri

Updated from MSFT.

Users are no longer able to utilize personal gateways with MySql. If the user's MySql is inaccessible on the cloud, they will be required to transition to employing the Enterprise Gateway and establish connections through it. However, if the user's MySql server is accessible via the cloud, they can leverage the latest feature update to connect directly without the necessity of a Gateway.

This worked for me. I have established Enterprise gateway and it worked. But it was pain in the as* to configure as I needed to do this workaround: https://community.fabric.microsoft.com/t5/Service/gateway-quot-not-configured-correctly-quot/m-p/668...

Thank you very much.

v-yifanw-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @raken ,

We have reported this issue and submitted it to the product team.

They have been aware of the issue and the engineers will do their best to resolve it. I will update here if there is any progress, so please be patient. 

Best Regards,

Ada Wang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

FadielR

Good day Fabric community support!

I'm facing the same issue whereby MySQL datasources are suddenly recognized as Cloud based.

All existing reports in the PBI Service, connected to the same host is still refreshing, however any newly publised reports failes with this error: "DataSource.MissingClientLibrary: We were unable to find a database provider with invariant name 'MySql.Data.MySqlClient'.. DataSourceKind = MySql. DataSourcePath......[my Database and Table names]", as it's meant to connect via the Gateway, however the option is greayed out as if it is a Cloud connection.

The same new report refreshes sucessfully in PBI Desktop.

Can someone please assist as soon as possible.

Regards

Fadiel

I'm referring to this option:

FadielR_0-1713952247556.png

humercab

I have same problem. MYSQL connections to db is set to cloud based and credentials are not working. I have no problem using db in power bi desktop. I also uninstalled personal gateway to previous version from january 24, deleted report that is using this connection, deleted connection to MYsql in connections published report again but still the same. So now my reports are unusable . Any fix?

Marcelo_AEJ

Hi. I still have this problem. Has anyone discovered a solution?

v-yifanw-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi all,

Are you having problems using encrypted connections in conjunction with a MySQL data source? Are you intermittently unable to refresh the data?
Please try refreshing the data without an encrypted connection to see if it works.
If the problem persists, can you provide the full error message when the data refresh fails so that we can better understand and solve your problem.

Best Regards,

Ada Wang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

v-yifanw-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @raken ,

Based on the information you provided. First, understand that Power BI handles data sources differently depending on where they are hosted. Entering the Power BI service, the way data sources are managed may change, especially if Power BI interprets the data source location differently. For detailed information, see this document:
Data sources for the Power BI service - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

You can try the following steps first to troubleshoot and resolve the issue:

1. Ensure that the local data gateway is properly configured and running.
  2. In the Power BI service, check the data source settings for the dataset. Ensure that it is correctly pointing to the use of the local data gateway and is not being treated as a cloud data source.
  3. Verify the authentication method used for the MySQL data source in Power BI Desktop and Power BI Services. Differences in authentication methods can cause problems.

If the error persists after trying the above steps, can you provide more information that would be helpful in resolving your issue:

• Whether the problem occurs intermittently or continuously.
  • Were there any changes made to the network configuration or Power BI service when the issue started?
  • Can you share more detailed information about the error message received during the authentication failure.

More details can also help us to troubleshoot whether this is a known issue or not.

Best Regards,

Ada Wang

Dear Ada Wang,

Thank you for your valuable suggestions. I've checked the configurations as recommended but still face the same issue. To provide more context:

• Other data sources like Oracle and local folders are connecting normally through the gateway.
  • Reports from other authors that access the same MySQL server are not treated as cloud-based, which suggests that this issue is specific to my reports.
  • To my knowledge, there hasn't been any recent changes to our network configuration or service updates that could have caused this. The only change was updates and modifications made to the report content in Power BI Desktop before republishing.

Is it possible that the local data gateway settings could change spontaneously? Or could the republishing of updated reports from Power BI Desktop somehow alter how Power BI service interprets the data source location?

Your further guidance on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,

raken

I am experiencing the same issue. My MySQL data connections are suddenly recognized as cloud based (even if they are not) and I am not able to connect to them from PBI services.

Yes, even I am facing the same issue. All of a sudden, Personal gateway is not working for Mysql and it shows only cloud connection to set up but it works well in Power BI desktop client. All scheduled reports are failing and it is a major issue on day-today basis as we have to manually run all these reports.

Not sure, if there is any recent upgarde to Personal gateway that is causing the issue..

Kindly post the solution if you find one..

Thanks in advance

SriKrty

waraujo
Frequent Visitor

I am also experiencing the same issue. Apparently, it started a few days ago. The data sources connected to MySQL are no longer recognized by the Personal Gateway, When I try to enter the username and password, I receive an error notification: "An error happened while reading data from the provider: ‘One or more errors occurred.’"
The MySQL data sources have all started to be considered as cloud-based, but this was not the case, in fact, it has never been like this. I also have several reports stopped and still without a solution.

Hi waraujo - I'm experiencing the exact same issue.

Please let us know if were able to resolved the issue or do you perhaps have more information to assist me with troubleshooting?

Thank you in advance

Fadiel

Hi Fadiel,

It seems we’re facing a very confusing problem. Apparently, there was a change made by the developers, and this change negatively affected the community, as we can see on the forum where several users use the Personal Gateway for updating their reports.

We’re all hoping and trusting that the development team can restore the functionality to how it was before for the personal gateway, I’m also waiting for an update.

It’s important to note that for the personal gateway, MySQL databases shouldn’t work until the change is reverted.
If anyone else has information, please post it here. Let’s make sure this post reaches the Microsoft team so that the negative impact caused by the change in the community can be evaluated.

When republishing the existing dashboards, the paths of the MySQL databases are changing to the cloud. This has caused the automatic updates using the personal gateway to stop. I reiterate that this was not happening in March; apparently, there was some update applied either to the gateway or to the Power BI Service environment. Please investigate urgently, as it is affecting published dashboards.
The database is Local

waraujo_0-1713297277431.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors