Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

jbach
Frequent Visitor

Power Bi - Prerequisites to publish to web

I've been trying out power Bi Desktop and I'm now interested in purchasing the pro version so that I may share and embed my dashboard online (publicly)

From what I gather, you need a company email in order to purchase and register and you need your admin to allow data to the published to the web.

I'm completely new to this, so can someone just list out the whole process of what an individual user who has no work/student email needs to purchase/register to be able to publish to the web?

Do I need to purchase my own domain in addition to having an Office 365?

Can I just purchase an Office 365 e3 together with a power BI pro license, register with a custom email/domain and then make myself an admin and publish dashboard to the web (public)? Apologies if I am not asking at the right place....

Thanks

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
Burningsuit
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

HI @jbach 

This document gives step-by step details for signing up to Power BI without a corporate email.

Sign up or purchase the Power BI service as an individual - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

If you haven't got a work email address, this documents (referenced from the one above) gives details about getting a Trial Office 365 licence.

Signing up for Power BI with a new Microsoft 365 Trial - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

this is also covered in a "Guy In A Cube" Video:

(31) Let's fix signing up for Power BI without a work email - YouTube

Note that if all you want to do is Publish your Report to the Web, you don't need a Pro licence, this can be done with a Free licence. The licence scenarios are gone through in the first document above.

Hope this helps

Stuart

View solution in original post

Dear @jbach ,

1. The Power BI admin portal has settings that control who can publish to the web. Work with your organization's Power BI administrator to change the Publish to web tenant settings in the admin portal.

For smaller organizations or individuals who signed up for Power BI, you may not have a Power BI administrator yet. Follow our process for admin takeover. Once you have a Power BI administrator, they can enable creating embed codes for you.

Please refer to Find your Power BI administrator in this document.
Publish to web from Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Docs
Publish to web is turned off by default, please turn it on.

vcgaomsft_0-1646723031192.png

vcgaomsft_1-1646723320414.png

2. Signing up for a new Microsoft 365 E3 or E5 trial is a great option if you want to have your own tenant or organization.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team_Gao

If there is any post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly. If I misunderstand your needs or you still have problems on it, please feel free to let us know. Thanks a lot!

How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
jbach
Frequent Visitor

thank you for the reply.

I've actually tried this method of signing up ("Guy In A Cube" Video) however this doesn't get around the issue of getting the 'Contact your admin to enable embed code creation' when attempting to publish to web.

I've tried going to my admin portal but it only has 'capacity settings' and 'refresh summary'. I've looked around and it seems to be tied to the domain admin; it seems those who sign up via Guy In A Cube's method will not have the admin privileges required to change this setting, correct me if i'm wrong... so I do need my own domain or will purchasing an Office 365 e3 suffice?

Dear @jbach ,

1. The Power BI admin portal has settings that control who can publish to the web. Work with your organization's Power BI administrator to change the Publish to web tenant settings in the admin portal.

For smaller organizations or individuals who signed up for Power BI, you may not have a Power BI administrator yet. Follow our process for admin takeover. Once you have a Power BI administrator, they can enable creating embed codes for you.

Please refer to Find your Power BI administrator in this document.
Publish to web from Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Docs
Publish to web is turned off by default, please turn it on.

vcgaomsft_0-1646723031192.png

vcgaomsft_1-1646723320414.png

2. Signing up for a new Microsoft 365 E3 or E5 trial is a great option if you want to have your own tenant or organization.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team_Gao

If there is any post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly. If I misunderstand your needs or you still have problems on it, please feel free to let us know. Thanks a lot!

How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data

Burningsuit
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

HI @jbach 

This document gives step-by step details for signing up to Power BI without a corporate email.

Sign up or purchase the Power BI service as an individual - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

If you haven't got a work email address, this documents (referenced from the one above) gives details about getting a Trial Office 365 licence.

Signing up for Power BI with a new Microsoft 365 Trial - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

this is also covered in a "Guy In A Cube" Video:

(31) Let's fix signing up for Power BI without a work email - YouTube

Note that if all you want to do is Publish your Report to the Web, you don't need a Pro licence, this can be done with a Free licence. The licence scenarios are gone through in the first document above.

Hope this helps

Stuart

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

Top Solution Authors