Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

rhawlor
Helper II
Helper II

Power BI vs QLIK

Hi Folks

Happy Friday!!! 🙂

Our business has just been taken over by another company and we were demo'ing all he efforts behind our Power BI reporting.

Due to our data sizes I utilise:

Oracle database with millions of records - I use an import SQL query into a DB view to pull data into a dataflow to perform transformations etc

I have a second Oracle product database with billions of serial numbers, I aggregate through a SQL query for this data import into a dataflow.

I then pull into PBI and i finish any measurements DAX etc.

The new company then showed us what they had, which was QLIK and they mentioned that they have direct query into their databases which holds equally billions of serial numbers with almost near instant results in QLIK down to serial numebr level. They mentioned that QLIK can shrink data.

This left me somewhat enviable and dissapointed in Power BI and my work over the last 2 years. The saving grace for me was Power BI interface and report structure looks cleaner and not like a crazy excel tab with lots of squashed up slicers and graphs.

What am I doing wrong and is Power BI capable of this type of data handling?

Thanks everyone.

Rob

1 REPLY 1
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

How much effort have you spent on optimizing the Oracle database for the queries that you issue on Power BI?  Indexes, Statistics, and their maintenance?  Query Plan analysis and refactoring?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors