Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

DannyAlfa
Regular Visitor

Power BI Reporting Set Up

Hi all,

I am a relatively new user of Power BI and want some support in better understanding how to set up end users for the company I work for. I currently have a PPU account along with my IT manager.

We will have around 10-20 end users scattered across the business and I want to set them up with the correct level of access so that they can view the reports that are being created.

My understanding from various theads and videos I have seen is that they will require a Power BI Pro Licence in order to view reports is that correct?

Any Help and advice is much appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@DannyAlfa Yes, you are thinking about it the right way.

The PPU license allows you to publish reports to a Pro or PPU workspace. If you publish reports to a Pro workspace, other users need at least a pro license to view. A PPU license can view a pro workspace too, but a pro workspace does not include any of the premium ppu features.

If you publish reports to a PPU workspace , then other users need a PPU license in order to view them.

All of this assumes that your organization does not have a dedicated Power BI or Fabric capacity.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
mohitkumawat
Super User
Super User

Hi @DannyAlfa ,

Your PPU licenses contribute to your organization's Premium capacity. This capacity allows a certain number of users to view reports in shared workspaces, even if they don't have Pro licenses.

Hi @mohitkumawat ,

Do you have a source for that? Unless something has changed very recently, PPU does not allow other users to view reports in shared workspaces without a license. 

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/enterprise/service-premium-per-user-faq

@djurecicK2  I thought the same, how i understood it was that they needed a pro licence to be able to view??

@DannyAlfa Yes, you are thinking about it the right way.

The PPU license allows you to publish reports to a Pro or PPU workspace. If you publish reports to a Pro workspace, other users need at least a pro license to view. A PPU license can view a pro workspace too, but a pro workspace does not include any of the premium ppu features.

If you publish reports to a PPU workspace , then other users need a PPU license in order to view them.

All of this assumes that your organization does not have a dedicated Power BI or Fabric capacity.

Hi @mohitkumawat ,

Thanks for this, im assuming I will need to identify these certain users somewhere, where can I find this?

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors