Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

mbeutel

Power BI Pro Service

Hi!

I have a Power BI Desktop Pro license, but Power BI Service is indicating that I need to upgrade my license to Power BI Pro. Do you know if an additional license is required to use the Power BI Service?

Thanks,

Mike

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Stuart,

My admin indicated that the Power BI Desktop was $99, so I assumed I had a license. I will f/u with IT internally here to make sure that I get a license.

Thanks so much!

Mike

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Burningsuit
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

HI @mbeutel 

Power BI Desktop is free software, you can download it from Microsoft you don't need a licence for it . To publish the reports you create in Power BI Desktop to the Power BI Service, you need a Power BI licence. The free Power BI Licence allows you to publish into your own private Workspace in service, and view the Reports there. You cannot share Reports with a free licence, you cannot create Workspaces with a free licence. To do that (and many other things) you need at least a Power BI Pro licence.

See : Power BI Free vs Pro | What's The Difference | Burningsuit

Hope this helps

Stuart

Hi Stuart,

My admin indicated that the Power BI Desktop was $99, so I assumed I had a license. I will f/u with IT internally here to make sure that I get a license.

Thanks so much!

Mike

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors