Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

mbeutel

Power BI Pro Service

Hi!

I have a Power BI Desktop Pro license, but Power BI Service is indicating that I need to upgrade my license to Power BI Pro. Do you know if an additional license is required to use the Power BI Service?

Thanks,

Mike

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Stuart,

My admin indicated that the Power BI Desktop was $99, so I assumed I had a license. I will f/u with IT internally here to make sure that I get a license.

Thanks so much!

Mike

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Burningsuit
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

HI @mbeutel 

Power BI Desktop is free software, you can download it from Microsoft you don't need a licence for it . To publish the reports you create in Power BI Desktop to the Power BI Service, you need a Power BI licence. The free Power BI Licence allows you to publish into your own private Workspace in service, and view the Reports there. You cannot share Reports with a free licence, you cannot create Workspaces with a free licence. To do that (and many other things) you need at least a Power BI Pro licence.

See : Power BI Free vs Pro | What's The Difference | Burningsuit

Hope this helps

Stuart

Hi Stuart,

My admin indicated that the Power BI Desktop was $99, so I assumed I had a license. I will f/u with IT internally here to make sure that I get a license.

Thanks so much!

Mike

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

Top Solution Authors