Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

NewUser777
Resolver I
Resolver I

Power BI Premium Data lineage only shows tables of dataset but not database

Goal: Get all source database actual  tables of reports which are embedded in Powerbi reports

I have a bunch(20) of Powerbi reports which are using oracle as the database via the datagateway and would like to know how can I get all the tables used by the report from Power BI premium service . So far I was not able to find any option. 

Hence want to know if there is any Powershell script or any other option to get the information.

Note: we dont have enterprise data lineage tool 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
TomMartens
Super User
Super User

Hey @NewUser777 ,

getting the tables from the source is not that easy but possible. If your workspaces containing the relevant datasets connecting to your oracle source you can use the XMLA endpoint of the workspace to connect any frontend to the endpoint.

The image below shows the connection of SQL Server Management Studio to that endpoint. I'm using the DAX query editor to run a DMV namely the TMSCHEMA_PARTITIONS:
image.png
As you can see the column QueryDefinition contains everything you need to know, it just retrieves transformations. As it's possible to connect to the XMLA endpoint using Power BI Desktop, you can run the DMV and use the magic to extract the Oracle table names using some Power Query magic:

image.png

Hopefully, this provides an idea of how to tackle your challenge.

Regards,

Tom

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!

Proud to be a Super User!
I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
TomMartens
Super User
Super User

Hey @NewUser777 ,

getting the tables from the source is not that easy but possible. If your workspaces containing the relevant datasets connecting to your oracle source you can use the XMLA endpoint of the workspace to connect any frontend to the endpoint.

The image below shows the connection of SQL Server Management Studio to that endpoint. I'm using the DAX query editor to run a DMV namely the TMSCHEMA_PARTITIONS:
image.png
As you can see the column QueryDefinition contains everything you need to know, it just retrieves transformations. As it's possible to connect to the XMLA endpoint using Power BI Desktop, you can run the DMV and use the magic to extract the Oracle table names using some Power Query magic:

image.png

Hopefully, this provides an idea of how to tackle your challenge.

Regards,

Tom

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!

Proud to be a Super User!
I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

Thanks for this idea , I have built a report now pointing to 20 datasets in Prod  . Do you think will there be performance issue to run this on Power BI Premium Gen2 platform?

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

Top Solution Authors