Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

BenBrazil
Regular Visitor

Power BI Login Loop

Hi,

I am trying to install the Power BI Gateway. The last step of the installation requies logging in as a user. I am unable to log in and the logs show the following error:

Inner Exception #0) Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.GatewayCommon.ADAuthenticationException: Failed to sign in. Please verify your credentials and try again. ---> Microsoft.Identity.Client.MsalServiceException: AADSTS500014: The service principal for resource 'https://analysis.windows.net/powerbi/api' is disabled. This indicate that a subscription within the tenant has lapsed, or that the administrator for this tenant has disabled the application, preventing tokens from being issued for it.

I then tried to log into the Power BI website with my user account and the login process just goes round in a loop. I am able to authenticate but I just go round in a loop back to the authentication page again. If I try and create a new account using my username I get a message that I already have an account and then tries to log in again. It continues to go round in a loop. 

I am an Azure administrator and have taken away the Power BI free trial license associated with my account as suggested in posts with a similar issue, however this has not fixed it.

I have tried with different browsers, In Private mode and on different clients but still have the same issue.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Ben

5 REPLIES 5
v-diye-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @BenBrazil 

Please try creating a service account in AD that was synced to the O365.  Make the user an actual service account on the server where installed the gateway on and then gave it a Power BI license on O365.

Also,  make sure that the account is added to the local security policy “Log on as a Service”, you can use the following steps to add the "Log on as a service" right to an account on your local computer.

1. Open Local Security Policy.
   2. In the console tree, double-click Local Policies, and then click User Rights Assignments.
   3. In the details pane, double-click Log on as a service.
   4. Click Add User or Group, and then add the appropriate account to the list of accounts that possess the Log on as a service right.

Community Support Team _ Dina Ye
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more
quickly.

Hi,

thanks for the suggestion. I dont believe that this is an on-premise application server issue however. It appears to be an authentication issue between Azure and PowerBI.

Putting the on-premise server aside for the moment, I can't even log into https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/landing/signin/ successfully. When clicking on sign in with my user account I am presented with the Azure login screen "Pick an Account" which prompts me to select my account. When selecting my account it looks like it is going to authenticate and then just returns back to the same "Pick an account" screen.

My account has the Free PowerBI license associated with it in Azure.

If I look at the Azure sign in logs for my account I see the following:

The service principal for resource '{identifier}' is disabled. This indicate that a subscription within the tenant has lapsed, or that the administrator for this tenant has disabled the application, preventing tokens from being issued for it.

This is similar to the errror log from the server when attemting to log in.

I assume that I dont have the required pre-requisites configured within Azure. Is there something addtional required to get this working?

Thanks,

Ben

Further testing indicates that this issue is related to our Azure license / subscription or Azure configuration.

If I log into a the Power BI website using a different Microsoft organization account I am successful and similarly the On Premise Gateway registration is successful. I cant however use this organization account.

Both of the organizations have the Power BI free subscription. The only difference is that the non working organization uses SSO. Could this be the issue? Are there any other requirements?

Thanks,

Ben

mihart
Employee
Employee

Hi @BenBrazil 

Do you have separate user accounts -- one with admin privileges and one without?  

- Michele

Hi Michele,

thanks for your reply.

Yes, I've got an admin account which is the Azure admin and a non admin account which I have been trying to use as the Power BI users. My admin account doesnt have email capabilities.

Thanks,

Ben

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors