Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

ellac
Helper III
Helper III

Power BI Error: Refresh token expired

Hi!

The last 3 months or so, we've experienced a lot of issues with the loading of reports and apps in Power BI Service. This happens to reports with a live connection to Azure Analysis Services. The data for each visual won't load (crosses appear in every visual) and the error message "It looks like the refresh token expired. Please go to this dataset's settings page, and reenter the {CredentialType} credentials for the {DatasourceType} data source" shows. This message appears for all kind of users (workspace admins, dataset owners and app viewers). After refreshing the page and/or logging out from the Power BI Service, the error message disappears. Does anyone know what's the cause to this? Thanks in advance!

ellac_0-1698763612320.png

/Ella

5 REPLIES 5
Essjay
Frequent Visitor

@ellac : where you able to know the reason for this issue reoccuring? 

Hi,

The issue was solved, but I don't know how... I just waited and the problem went away by itself. So weird 😕

/Ella

annam
Frequent Visitor

I am facing the same issue. Were you able to find a fix for this?

v-junyant-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @ellac ,

As the error message indicates, I recommend that you go to the data setting and update your data credentials. The specific steps I will list for you below:

Click the dataset used by the report:

vjunyantmsft_0-1698804550358.png

Select 'Settings' in the drop-down bar of File:

vjunyantmsft_1-1698804585911.png

Click on 'Data source credentials' and select 'Edit credentials':

vjunyantmsft_2-1698804628437.png

After you re-provide the dataset's credentials, if the issue still doesn't resolve, check whether the IP address of the machine has been added to the AS firewall and if there have been any recent changes to the data source that have caused changes in access to the data source.

Best Regards,

Dino Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-junyant-msft ,

Thanks for answering! We've of course tried to update the credentials multiple times, but the error keeps coming. The weird thing is that the "regular" app viewers see this error... But maybe that's totally normal.

I will try to check your suggestion with the IP address, thanks for that!

/Ella

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors