Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

arusky
Frequent Visitor

Power BI Dataflow from Snowflake without Gateway

Hi,

I am currently grabbing the data from Snowflake using advanced editor to query the data in dataflow.

It requires the data gateway to be on, and I wonder if we can connect the dataflow to Snowflake without gateway since it is cloud basis.

Thanks,

David

9 REPLIES 9
cpwebb
Employee
Employee

Are you saying that you can't create a dataflow connection unless you specify a gateway, or that when you try to create a connection without using a gateway the connection doesn't work? In some organisations you have to connect to Snowflake via a gateway for security reasons. Your Power BI or Snowflake admins will be able to tell you whether this is true for you.

Rajeshkumaryarl
Helper II
Helper II

I am facing the same issue. I want to create a dataflow not dataset with data from Snowflake. Is there a way to do this without gateway connection ??

Yes, I've just tried creating a Dataflow connected to Snowflake and you just set up the connection without selecting a gateway.

Hi Could you please list down the steps?? The reason is i tried it multiple times without gateway connection for Dataflow. I am able to create dataflow only if i give any gateway connection. 

DarinSpence
Helper I
Helper I

Here's what I've tried so far to connect a Power BI Service Dataflow to a Snowflake database:

1. Downloaded and Installed Snowflake ODBC Driver to my local computer:  ODBC - Snowflake Developers
  2. Successfully setup ODBC connection
  3. Used the ODBC connection in Power BI desktop to conect to Snowflake, worked great!
  4. Installed Power BI Gateway on local computer
  5. Tried creating a Dataflow, ODBC, and copied the M from Power BI Desktop into the Power BI Service Dataflow.  Didn't work.
  6. Tried createding a Dataflow, Snowflake this time, and was able to get a list of the databases on Snowflake, but when I tried to drill-down on the tables the query failed.

I submitted a ticket and we captured network traces when using Power BI Service to create a Dataflow for analysis.

v-yanjiang-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @arusky ,

From this document you can see, Gateway is not required for Snowflake.

vkalyjmsft_0-1651563246345.png

If you don’t open the gateway option for this dataset, you should also go to the “Date source credential” to make sure each credential for the data sources is correctly entered.

vkalyjmsft_1-1651563620077.png

What’s more, if the "Gateway connection" didn’t mention that you don’t need a gateway. I think you should also check if all the data source of your dataset are in the cloud, and avoid the condition of merging or appending on-premises and cloud data sources, which is explained in this document:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/service-gateway-mashup-on-premises-cloud

Finally, you can also check if the option has been turned on in your gateway setting:

vkalyjmsft_2-1651563620473.png

More reference: Connect to Snowflake with Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ kalyj

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

I'm struggling with the exact same issue.  Did you find a solution?

@v-yanjiang-msft, Thanks for your response.

Yes. All data in dataflow are cloud basis since they are all from Snowflake.

arusky_0-1651588998429.png

As you see above, gateway option is default on.

I can turn off the individual dataset using Snowflake, but dataflow is grayed and does not allow turning off.

The below option you mention is turned on. Does it mean I need to turn it off? unchecked that option, but it still does not allow me to turn off the gateway at the dataflow gateway connection setting.

Please advise.

Thanks,

David Lee

Hi @arusky ,

Sorry for late back. By my test, if there's no need to configure a gateway, in the Gateway connection option, it will show "You don't need a gateway for the dataset" like below. From your snapshot, it differ from this, so I suggest you try to configure a gateway.

vkalyjmsft_0-1654053719431.png

Follow the steps:

1. Download and install the gateway on a local computer.
  2. Configure the gateway based on your firewall and other network requirements.
  3. Add a gateway data source.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ kalyj

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors