Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

JWolmanSymplr
Resolver I
Resolver I

Power BI Dataflow Using OData Not Being Able To Select An Existing Data Connection

I created a new Data Connection from the Manage Gateways and Connections screen in app.power.bi.

• I put in the URL to our Azure DevOps system since there is where I want to pull data from
  • Note, this is the only Data Connection I have for this user and it's name is NOT the URL of Azure DevOps
    • Changed Connection Name to [username-to-ado]

I then go to create a new Dataflow.

• Select Add new tables. 
  • Search for OData
  • Paste in the URL (the same one I used in the new Data Connection I created above)
  • Why don't I see my [username-to-ado] Data Connection in the Connection drop down? I have hit the refresh button, everything. I would think this is where I can select my [username-to-ado] Data Connection
  • So, then I leave it as Create new connection
  • Note, the Date gateway is blank too
  • Change Authentication kind and Privacy Level to Organizational
  • Sign In
    • using my username
  • Click Next
  • Save and close

I now notice I have a new Data Connection in the Manage connections and gateways. The new one is called the same name as my Azure DevOps URL

What is the point of creating Data Connections if you cannot use them when creating Dataflows?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

My details are not different. It's the same Azure DevOps URL, and it's the same user from when I created the Data Connection as the one creating the Data. I have been creating Dataflows for over a year now and I have never seen a value in those drop downs to allow me to select an existing Data Connection. There seems to be something fundamentally wrong. I will look at creating a Pro Ticket.

View solution in original post

JWolmanSymplr
Resolver I
Resolver I

There is no solution to this as you can perform the steps listed in this post when you are in the edit view on the server you can make these changes, but when you try to save it fails. I feel it fails due to SQL injection or other injection reasons.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
JWolmanSymplr
Resolver I
Resolver I

There is no solution to this as you can perform the steps listed in this post when you are in the edit view on the server you can make these changes, but when you try to save it fails. I feel it fails due to SQL injection or other injection reasons.

v-yaningy-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @JWolmanSymplr 

In Power BI, data connections are used to establish a link between your Power BI service and the data source. This allows you to refresh your dataflows and datasets from the original data source. However, when creating a new dataflow, you might need to create a new connection, especially if the data source or the connection details are different.
If you still have questions about this, you can fill out the link below for support.
If you have a Pro license you can open a Pro ticket at https://admin.powerplatform.microsoft.com/newsupportticket/powerbi
Otherwise you can raise an issue at https://community.fabric.microsoft.com/t5/Issues/idb-p/Issues .

Best Regards,
Yang
Community Support Team

If there is any post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
If I misunderstand your needs or you still have problems on it, please feel free to let us know. Thanks a lot!

How to get your questions answered quickly --  How to provide sample data in the Power BI Forum

My details are not different. It's the same Azure DevOps URL, and it's the same user from when I created the Data Connection as the one creating the Data. I have been creating Dataflows for over a year now and I have never seen a value in those drop downs to allow me to select an existing Data Connection. There seems to be something fundamentally wrong. I will look at creating a Pro Ticket.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors