Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Pin icon is gray there is no way to create a dashboard

Hello All,
On the PowerBi Service platform, I published a report that more than 100 people have access to. These people may not be able to access the source data or change anything in the report itself except to change the settings using the available filters.
Currently, this solution works fine, the problem is that each user should be able to create their own dashbords, but for some reason they are unable to do so the pin icon is grayed out and there is no way to add visuals to the dashbords.
What do I need to change in the settings of the report, powerbi service site or my workspace so that users can create their own dashboards, but without being able to access the source data.
Users have a PowerBi free license.

This is the view users currently have.

piotrgrendus87_0-1666164942418.png

Regards Piotr.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-zhangti
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @piotrgrendus87 

Who can create a dashboard?

The ability to create a dashboard is considered a creator feature and requires edit permissions on the report. Edit permissions are available to report creators and to those colleagues the creator grants access. For example, if David creates a report in workspace ABC and adds you as a member of that workspace, you and David both have edit permissions. 

You need a Power BI Pro or Premium Per User (PPU) license to create dashboards in workspaces. You can create dashboards in your own My Workspace without a Power BI Pro or Premium Per User (PPU) license.

Intro to dashboards for Power BI designers - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Users have a PowerBi free license can create dashboards in My Workspace, but you need to give them edit permissions for the report.

Dataset permissions - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Manage dataset access permissions - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _Charlotte

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
v-zhangti
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @piotrgrendus87 

Who can create a dashboard?

The ability to create a dashboard is considered a creator feature and requires edit permissions on the report. Edit permissions are available to report creators and to those colleagues the creator grants access. For example, if David creates a report in workspace ABC and adds you as a member of that workspace, you and David both have edit permissions. 

You need a Power BI Pro or Premium Per User (PPU) license to create dashboards in workspaces. You can create dashboards in your own My Workspace without a Power BI Pro or Premium Per User (PPU) license.

Intro to dashboards for Power BI designers - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Users have a PowerBi free license can create dashboards in My Workspace, but you need to give them edit permissions for the report.

Dataset permissions - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Manage dataset access permissions - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _Charlotte

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors