Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

MarkPalmberg
Kudo Collector
Kudo Collector

Permissions on SharePoint / OneDrive for Power BI Pro license

I would like to be able to access a file (simple SharePoint list) via Power BI from my company's SharePoint site. The person in charge of data entry on the list would need write access to it, obviously, but I'd only ever need to read it in Power BI. 

Ideally, the list would be the output from a SQL query, and the data entry person would then update a single column of data on the list with information that's not kept in our CRM.

We've used a web app in the past to accomplish tasks like this, but I'd like to see if we can get this implemented without having to build an app.

Mainly, I don't yet know where to store the document on our SharePoint site to be able to 1) adequately permission it for data entry and consumption and 2) access it via Power BI.

Thanks for any thoughts you may have on my scenario!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

Here is a community blog post explaining how to do this: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/Power-BI-Get-Data-From-SharePoint-List-Library/td-p/280109

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

Here is a community blog post explaining how to do this: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/Power-BI-Get-Data-From-SharePoint-List-Library/td-p/280109

Power BI Blog

Thanks for this, @GilbertQ . I ended up digging around a little more and using the process in this video to grab a link from a SharePoint Excel file and connect to it via the web connector in Power BI. Works fine. Even got a refresh schedule set up once I figured out I needed to use my organizational account for permissions. I'm happy to have this working!

Awesome thanks for letting us know.

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors