Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Avictory
Frequent Visitor

Permission to scedule a refresh for dataset

Hi,

I have a dataset that I can scedule a refresh,  but I need to give other user to be able to configure a scedule refresh.

This option is blocked (greyed out) for the other user.

How can I assign him a permission for that?

I already granted all available permission for the user on this dataset (see image below).

I see a "takeover" button available but I afraid to click on it. I dont know the impact for doing that. I also dont know if this will solve the problem.

Thanks,

Avi

Option is greyed out:

Avictory_1-1666870115122.png

All permissions granted:

Avictory_2-1666870232362.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

They will need to take over the dataset, then redo the permissions on the cloud data sources. 

I would not recommend this honestly. It isn't bad, it is just a hassle.

A better method would be to use Power Automate to schedule the refreshes. Share the Flow with this person and they can alter the schedule there with no data source credential changes. There are half a dozen ways to do this. One way is shown here. Schedule Refresh Power BI dataset with Power Automate! | by Nimai Ahluwalia | All About Power BI | M...

I use PA for Power BI refreshes all of the time because it can be much more granular and allow others to alter it easily if you give them edit permissions to your flow.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

I see a "takeover" button available but I afraid to click on it. I dont know the impact for doing that. I also dont know if this will solve the problem.

Don't be afraid to do that. It is required, and it is also reversible. Yes, it will solve the problem.

DO NOT grant all these permissions before considering the consequences.  In our environment we do not allow recipients to modify or share datasets, for example.

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @Avictory 

As long as the person taking of the datset refresh has permissions to update the datasource settings it should work fine.

Power BI Blog

Hi,

As I mentioned, I give the user all 4 permission of the dataset as show here:

Avictory_0-1667123201094.png

When entering the setting page of the dataset, The "sceduled refresh" is blocked (greyed out).

What should I do, and how, to give the nessesary permission to this user to open the "sceduled refresh" option for edit?

Thanks,

Avi

Ibanez2000
Frequent Visitor

Are you using a standard gateway or a personal gateway?

If you use a standard gateway, the other user should be able to configure the automatic schedule after taking over the dataset.

If you use a personal gateway, the other user can configure the automatic schedule, but will not be sucessfull because the personal gateway can only be assigned to one user (you), so he cannot use it.

Taking over the dataset will not be harmful, you can take it back easily in case any problems arise.

Maybe also helpful: If you grant the other user Contributor or above rights in the workspace, he would also be able to initiate a manual refresh (clicking on the update symbol) on demand. This works even for personal gateway.

For this answer i assume that you have all the credentials necessary for the data sources.

Hi,

Thank you for your fast reply.

The user already has contributor permission. he can do manual refresh. this is not enough, we need him to configure the sceduled refresh (when the refresh should run at night, he doesnt want to wake up at night to run the refresh so he want to define it in the scheduled refresh).

There is no use of gateway because the dataset getting the data from the cloud:

Avictory_0-1666873341620.png

he can do manual refresh and it works just fine.

I found out in another thread that taking over the dataset cause configuration issues.

see here: Take over datasets settings without changing confi... - Microsoft Power BI Community

Any other ideas?

Thanks,

Avi

They will need to take over the dataset, then redo the permissions on the cloud data sources. 

I would not recommend this honestly. It isn't bad, it is just a hassle.

A better method would be to use Power Automate to schedule the refreshes. Share the Flow with this person and they can alter the schedule there with no data source credential changes. There are half a dozen ways to do this. One way is shown here. Schedule Refresh Power BI dataset with Power Automate! | by Nimai Ahluwalia | All About Power BI | M...

I use PA for Power BI refreshes all of the time because it can be much more granular and allow others to alter it easily if you give them edit permissions to your flow.

Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

MCSA: BI Reporting

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors