Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

venkatasuresh_g
Helper III
Helper III

Parameters in Fabric Notebooks

Hi, I have a question regarding our use of three workspaces - DEV, UAT, and PRD. Each workspace has multiple lakes in them. When developers created delta tables using notebooks, they used the table path from the lake, which included the group ID and Lake ID. This worked smoothly in DEV, but when I moved them to the UAT workspace using deployment pipelines, the notebooks still pointed to the DEV workspace lake path. Now, I am trying to figure out how to address this issue. I am considering parameterizing the Workspace ID and Lake IDs, or perhaps there is another method I should be using. Notebooks reach tables or files in data frames for processing, and that is where I see the issue.

Thank you, Suresh

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-jialongy-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @venkatasuresh_g 

Based on your description, parameterizing the Workspace ID and Lake IDs in your notebooks is indeed a solid approach to address the issue you're facing.Here's a concise action plan to implement parameterization in your notebooks:

1. Designate a Parameters Cell: First, designate a cell in your notebook as the parameters cell. This is where you'll define the parameters that can be dynamically passed at runtime. For more details on how to designate a parameters cell, please refer to the Develop, execute, and manage notebooks - Microsoft Fabric | Microsoft Learn .

2. Parameterize Session Configuration: Use the magic command to parameterize your session configuration, including the Workspace ID and Lake IDs. You can find an example and more details in the Develop, execute, and manage notebooks - Microsoft Fabric | Microsoft Learn.

3. Assign Parameter Values from a Pipeline: When executing the notebook from a pipeline, assign the appropriate Workspace ID and Lake IDs as parameter values. This ensures that the notebook uses the correct paths based on the environment it's being executed in. For guidance on how to assign parameter values from a pipeline, please see the Develop, execute, and manage notebooks - Microsoft Fabric | Microsoft Learn

Best Regards,

Jayleny

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-jialongy-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @venkatasuresh_g 

Based on your description, parameterizing the Workspace ID and Lake IDs in your notebooks is indeed a solid approach to address the issue you're facing.Here's a concise action plan to implement parameterization in your notebooks:

1. Designate a Parameters Cell: First, designate a cell in your notebook as the parameters cell. This is where you'll define the parameters that can be dynamically passed at runtime. For more details on how to designate a parameters cell, please refer to the Develop, execute, and manage notebooks - Microsoft Fabric | Microsoft Learn .

2. Parameterize Session Configuration: Use the magic command to parameterize your session configuration, including the Workspace ID and Lake IDs. You can find an example and more details in the Develop, execute, and manage notebooks - Microsoft Fabric | Microsoft Learn.

3. Assign Parameter Values from a Pipeline: When executing the notebook from a pipeline, assign the appropriate Workspace ID and Lake IDs as parameter values. This ensures that the notebook uses the correct paths based on the environment it's being executed in. For guidance on how to assign parameter values from a pipeline, please see the Develop, execute, and manage notebooks - Microsoft Fabric | Microsoft Learn

Best Regards,

Jayleny

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thank you for your response, @v-jialongy-msft. I will implement your guidance and update you on how it goes.

Best regards, Suresh.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors