Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

UA
Frequent Visitor

OData connection fails credentials in web service but not desktop

Hi all, Im really stuck on an issue and need the help of the community please.

I am connecting to Business Central via OData in the desktop version using organisation account and the report runs fine in desktop.  When i upload it to the web service to publish i click on settings and data source credentials and then pick OAuth2 method and Privacy level Organisational and i get a failure as below.

'Failed to update data source credentials: Credentials are required to connect to the OData source. (Source at https://api.businesscentral.dynamics.com/v2.0/765a37a1-b-42a/Production/ODataV4/C ...etc'

I have tried every combination and it fails everytime, even if I 'skip test for connection'. I have also deleted the OData from 'Manage Connections and Gateway' and reapplied in case it was cached, still no joy.

Also, Ive tried everything in this post and nothing worked:
https://community.fabric.microsoft.com/t5/Service/Failed-to-update-data-source-credentials-The-crede...

Can someone please help on where im going wrong?

Thanks

2 REPLIES 2
v-heq-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @UA ,
Based on your description , you are experiencing "Failed to update data source credentials" error in Business Central OData connection. You can troubleshoot this in the following ways:
1.Re-enter Credentials in Power BI Service. Update the data source credentials by re-entering them, ensuring that you're using the correct OAuth2 authentication method and Organisational privacy level.
2.Inspect Privacy Levels and OAuth2 Configuration. Check that the OAuth2 configuration for your OData source is set up correctly, including the Application ID and required scopes.
You can refer to the following link to troubleshoot Odata login issues
Troubleshooting OData sign-in errors in Power BI Desktop - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Best regards,

Albert He

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

UA
Frequent Visitor

Hi, thank you for the reply.
I had already done step 1 multiple times, and tried different options as well in the desktop, none worked.

Regarding step 2, the link mentions the below, where would the third option be set?

• If you encounter such an error, ensure the application registration for your OData service has following settings:

• Application ID is set to the OData service base URI. 
    • Scope user_impersonation is defined.
    • The application's permissions are appropriately set by the administrator.

thanks

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors