Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

cpost
Frequent Visitor

No "Scheduled Refresh" option for dataset loaded with Import

Hello,

I'm trying to schedule refresh for a complex dataset I've created in Power BI desktop, but only the "Scheduled cache refresh" option is showing in the Service:

Simplified Example.png

I simplified the dataset to include only a single data source (a query from SQL Server), and verified it is in import mode, but "Scheduled refresh" option still does not show.

I also tried exporting as a .pbit and reloading, but the Scheduled refresh option still doesn't show.

I was able to get the "scheduled refresh" to appear by creating the simplified query in a blank .pbix file, but I'm really hoping to avoid having to rebuild my dataset as it includes 30 data sources, many additional custom columns / measures / tables and 150+ relationships.

From Scratch.png

Any ideas what else could be preventing the "Scheduled refresh" option from displaying?

Much Thanks,

Charlie

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Thanks for the follow up @GilbertQ . I still wasn't able to get my original report working, but ended up creating a new version with a simpler data model and have been able to refresh that one without any issues, so I'm all set for now.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @cpost ,

It seems like your are working with live mode datasources. AFAIK, live mode datasource will refresh when you interaction with visual records. Schedule refresh not works on live mode report, please check at following link to know more about these:

Using DirectQuery in Power BI

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-shex-msft - thank you for the response. It does seem that the Power BI Service is recognizing DirectQuery / Live Connection, though I believe it is actually in Import mode. In my simplified test file, I only have one table, and I've confirmed that it is stored in Import mode:

2019-09-09 08_54_57-Simple Refresh Test - Power BI Desktop.png

Any other thoughts?

Much Thanks,
Charlie

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

If you open your PBIX and go into data source settings, how many data sources do you see there?

Possibly there is another data source in one of your tables that is causing this?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Hi @GilbertQ - thank you for the suggestion. I checked the data source settings, but there is only one listed there. Any other thoughts?

Much Thanks,

Charlie

Hi there

Is your SQL Server stored in Azure or On-Premise?

Power BI Blog

Hi @GilbertQ - SQL Server is on Prem.

Much Thanks,

Charlie

It does appear that there is a mismatch between the data source name and the name in the Power BI Service Gateway.

I would suggest making sure all the properties are identical.

Here is a blog post I did explaining this: https://www.fourmoo.com/2017/04/26/power-bi-on-premise-gateway-configuration-steps-to-an-oracle-data...

Power BI Blog

Thanks for the follow up @GilbertQ . I still wasn't able to get my original report working, but ended up creating a new version with a simpler data model and have been able to refresh that one without any issues, so I'm all set for now.

Thanks for letting us know!

Power BI Blog

hi, i am facing the same issue. datasource is imported. but at power bi service, i do not have "Scheduled Refresh".. Only "Scheduled Cache Refresh" available. Is there a way to confirm that even after i selected "direct" connection, Power BI did not accidentally assume i am using direct connection?

@keithoon  can you please post this as its own separate question in a new post? This thread has already been marked as solved by the original poster so not too many people will view this thread.

To help you troubleshoot, "Scheduled Cache Refresh" should only appear when connecting as direct, not imported queries.

You see can if the query is in direct or import mode, by opening us "Transform Data" (Power Query) in PowerBI Desktop, and click the gear at the first step of the query to see how it is configured. See this link for more detailed information: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/How-to-change-direct-query-to-import-query/td-p/100996

What is the data source you are connecting to (vendor and vendor product name)?

Perfect, thanks for letting know know you found a way to get it working.

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors