Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

powpowpowbi
Regular Visitor

No data labels in Stacked column chart

I created a Stacked column chart and turned Data labels to On.  However, no data labels show in the chart.  

I tried changing the Display units of the Data labels to each of the different options, which made no difference.  I checked that the Color of the Data labels is not the same color as the columns and not thereby blending in.  

I thought maybe there were no data labels due to too much data being represented.  I tried selecting various options in the slicers I put on the page so as to reduce the amount of data being represented but there were still no data labels. 

Help?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
SanderBeukers
Advocate I
Advocate I

I've had this issue also, it was indeed because there were to much distinct bars so there was no room to display the data labels. You can test 2 things. 1: change to a line graph and see if the data labels work in that visual to rule out some bug or something, and 2: limit the amount of bars by filtering in your query (not in slicer). I suspect the data labels apear when limiting the amount of bars (to lets say 5), you can work your way up from there to see at what point the data labels disapear.

Als it sometimes helps to widen the visual and/or lowering the data label size.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
SanderBeukers
Advocate I
Advocate I

I've had this issue also, it was indeed because there were to much distinct bars so there was no room to display the data labels. You can test 2 things. 1: change to a line graph and see if the data labels work in that visual to rule out some bug or something, and 2: limit the amount of bars by filtering in your query (not in slicer). I suspect the data labels apear when limiting the amount of bars (to lets say 5), you can work your way up from there to see at what point the data labels disapear.

Als it sometimes helps to widen the visual and/or lowering the data label size.

That's true. PowerBi hides labels that don't fit, but it's little annoying that you can't force it to show them anyway. In Excel shows everything regardless. 

Thank you, @SanderBeukers.  Exactly as you described. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Kudoed Authors