Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Fia123
Helper II
Helper II

Newbie Question - Get Data from SQL Server

Hi,  I tried to refresh a report with data both from SQL server and Excel files saved in Onedrive for business, but do not get it.  I  use "Import" to get the data fra SQL server  and "Web" to get data from the Excel files.  I have installed the data gateway and it works find with the SQL data only. I have also made a test where I only use data fra the Excel files - and it works find. When I combine those two queries, I got a error message that I have to installed the gateway. What do I do wrong????  See error message below

Gateway_web.jpg

4 REPLIES 4
Eric_Zhang
Employee
Employee

@Fia123 wrote:

Hi,  I tried to refresh a report with data both from SQL server and Excel files saved in Onedrive for business, but do not get it.  I  use "Import" to get the data fra SQL server  and "Web" to get data from the Excel files.  I have installed the data gateway and it works find with the SQL data only. I have also made a test where I only use data fra the Excel files - and it works find. When I combine those two queries, I got a error message that I have to installed the gateway. What do I do wrong????  See error message below

Gateway_web.jpg

@Fia123

Did you install the on-premise gateway? For your case, you can only install a personal gateway, see Why on-premise data gateway is not available for the dataset combines on-premise data sources and on...

Yes, we have installed on-premise gateway.

After I posted this comment yesterday, I found this answer from Admin, Microsoft Power Bi, see below.  So it seems that this is not possible 😞   But I have found out how I can import Excel Workbooks - and perhaps this will solved my issue. I  just hope there are no restrictions on the size of the files.

Thanks for answering 🙂

Gateway_Onedrive_SQL.jpg

You will potentially have to ensure that what ever datasources you have in your Power BI Desktop file, you also have the identical sources setup in your Gateway?

If the above is not the case the Gateway will not work as expected.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Fia123
Helper II
Helper II

To be even clearer, is it possible to set up schedule refreshe for a data set with both on-premises data (SQL server) and data from Excel files (Onedrive for business)? I have installed a data gateway.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors