Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

sciomac
Frequent Visitor

Naming measure the same when uploading to the service

Hi,

I hope someone is able to help me.

I developed a Power BI report in the desktop. It has like 300 measures and the measures are classified in folders. I have used Tabular Editor 3 to work on my report.

Find a screenshot of the desktop

PowerBiDesktop.png

Screenshot of the service

PowerBIService.png

You can see that name of the measures have duplicates... It renders right the visuals but the legends show always the same name.

Thank you,

Miguel

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
sciomac
Frequent Visitor

Hi @collinq @v-angzheng-msft ,

I've talking to support team of Microsoft Power BI. They told me that there is a bug in the service provoking the duplication of measures names. They told me that they are planning to fix it by the end of January but as a workaround:

Te technical team have conveyed that the issue with duplicate measure names in the PBI service seems to be because the model has some translations that change the display name of measure like "Energy saving" to "Total waste generation over tons produced".

For example-

{
                        "name": "Total waste generation over tons produced",
                        "translatedCaption": "Total waste generation over tons produced"
                      },
                      {
                        "name": "Total waste generation",
                      },
                      {
                        "name": "Energy saving",
                      },
                      {
                        "name": "Waste saving",
                      },

/conceptualschema response:

{
                                "Name": "Total waste generation over tons produced",
                                "EdmName": "Total_waste_generation_over_tons_produced",
                                "DataType": 2,
                                "Measure": {},
                                "StableName": "75706d4b-be56-4e32-8300-0fa00f0fd771"
                            },
                            {
                                "Name": "Total waste generation",
                                "EdmName": "Total_waste_generation",
                                "DisplayName": "Total waste generation over tons produced",
                                "StableName": "ed8e3adf-06c5-4c81-ae60-c347f2bcafca"
                            },
                            {
                                "Name": "Energy saving",
                                "EdmName": "Energy_saving",
                                "StableName": "6345a7bc-7179-4c73-8369-fc87d7eadb73"
                            },
                            {
                                "Name": "Waste saving",
                                "EdmName": "Waste_saving",
                                "StableName": "bc214090-cfba-4a47-b1c3-b97c92814a4a"
                            }

So, the solution is to remove the bad translations from the model. This will make sure the correct names are displayed in the service upon publish.

You can use tabular editor to remove the translations from the model in PBI desktop. Simple example is as below to delete all the translations. You may also edit each translation separately if required.

sciomac_0-1640252188893.png

I've tested it and works!!!

Thank you

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
sciomac
Frequent Visitor

Hi @collinq @v-angzheng-msft ,

I've talking to support team of Microsoft Power BI. They told me that there is a bug in the service provoking the duplication of measures names. They told me that they are planning to fix it by the end of January but as a workaround:

Te technical team have conveyed that the issue with duplicate measure names in the PBI service seems to be because the model has some translations that change the display name of measure like "Energy saving" to "Total waste generation over tons produced".

For example-

{
                        "name": "Total waste generation over tons produced",
                      },
                      {
                        "name": "Total waste generation",
                      },
                      {
                        "name": "Energy saving",
                      },
                      {
                        "name": "Waste saving",
                      },

/conceptualschema response:

{
                                "Name": "Total waste generation over tons produced",
                                "EdmName": "Total_waste_generation_over_tons_produced",
                                "StableName": "75706d4b-be56-4e32-8300-0fa00f0fd771"
                            },
                            {
                                "Name": "Total waste generation",
                                "EdmName": "Total_waste_generation",
                                "StableName": "ed8e3adf-06c5-4c81-ae60-c347f2bcafca"
                            },
                            {
                                "Name": "Energy saving",
                                "EdmName": "Energy_saving",
                                "StableName": "6345a7bc-7179-4c73-8369-fc87d7eadb73"
                            },
                            {
                                "Name": "Waste saving",
                                "EdmName": "Waste_saving",
                                "StableName": "bc214090-cfba-4a47-b1c3-b97c92814a4a"
                            }

So, the solution is to remove the bad translations from the model. This will make sure the correct names are displayed in the service upon publish.

You can use tabular editor to remove the translations from the model in PBI desktop. Simple example is as below to delete all the translations. You may also edit each translation separately if required.

sciomac_0-1640252188893.png

I've tested it and works!!!

Thank you

v-angzheng-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @sciomac 

Could you explain what you are doing with the Tabular Editor 3?
I am not able to reproduce your issue in my environment, as my trial of Tabular Editor 3 has expired, I tested it using Tabular Editor 2 and I still wasn't able to reproduce your issue.

Can you run a simple test to check if you get different results using Tabular Editor 3and not using it. We need to troubleshoot if this is due to the Tabular Editor 3.This would be very helpful to solve the issue.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Zeon Zheng

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-angzheng-msft ,

I am not doing anything special with Tabular Editor 3 and I am not saying that the cause is TB3. I am mentioning that because it's the only thing different I made out of Power BI Desktop. I used TB3 for sake of efficient copy and paste measures and changing the expressions. I used TB3 a lot.

But I really need to solve the issued of "duplicating" measures names at the service because it's totally misleading for my users.

Thank you,

Miguel

collinq
Super User
Super User

HI @sciomac ,

I am wondering if something is cached or just displaying oddly in the service version.  You can not have two measures with the same name in Power BI. And, since you state that you are seeing the correct results along with NOT getting any error messages about duplicate measure I think that is "just" something you are seeing but not affecting the file. Obviously your screenshot shows it but I think that is just rendering.  If you hit refresh on your browser a few times (you may have to clear your browser cache) and/or change to a different browser, do you still see it?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!
Private message me for consulting or training needs.

Hi @collinq ,

Thank you for your answer.

I tested it after clearing the cache in Brave, Edge, Firefox and nothing change. I know that is somethig about rendering because, as you said, you can not have measures with the same name. It also happens at my customer tennant and browsers. As the users are just viewers, I could live with it if the legend keep the original name of the measures but they don't. 

It's the first time that it happens to me after 5 years working. It happens with several measure in the service...

PowerBiService2021-11-23 204635.png

I have no clue and I do need to solve it. 

Thank you for your help,

Miguel

Hey @sciomac ,

Since the problem is "just" display (not that this is a minor thing I know!) I suggest openeing a ticket with Microsoft to see if they have something going on in the service view/display code.  Let us know if they are able to help out.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!
Private message me for consulting or training needs.

Hi @collinq 

I'll do that. I let you know if something comes out.

Thank you,

Miguel

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors