Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

ToddChitt
Super User
Super User

MySQL ODBC connection works fine via a Gateway, but cannot configure a direct connection to MySQL

After quite a bit of trial and error, I was finally able to get a MySQL ODBC DSN configured on both my local machine and the server on which the Gateway is installed such that my Power BI model can get data from the ODBC DSN. The data source is configured appropriately in the Gateway. Scheduled refreshed succeed. Life is good.

But there is a serious issue with the ODBC driver that is not the subject of this post.

And so, after a lot more trial and error, I was able to make a direct connection from Power BI Desktop to the MySQL database/server (running in AWS). Note, this is the same server, database, username and password as was configured in the ODBC DSN. So far, so good.

But after deploying this new model to the service, I tried to setup Scheduled Refresh. It requires a Gateway. OK, I can use that same Gateway that currently supports the ODBC data source. But after going through the setup, using the EXACT SAME settings as the ODBC driver (which works just fine) I get this error:

ToddChitt_0-1677175070827.png

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Did I answer your question? If so, mark my post as a solution. Also consider helping someone else in the forums!

Proud to be a Super User!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @ToddChitt 

You are right in that you need to have the driver installed on the Gateway. I would suggest logging into the gateway server, open the PBIX and make sure that it refreshes there successfully. This will ensure that it is using the driver that the gateway will use too.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Power BI Blog

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @ToddChitt 

I would check to see if there is another version of the driver to use. In the past I have connected to a MySQL database through the gateway and I did not have any issues or challenges?

Power BI Blog

@GilbertQ Thanks for the suggestion. I will give that a try. As of a week ago I was on the latest version of MySQL, AND I think the Gateway server is as well. If there is a disconnect between the two driver versions, could that be the issue, do you think? Does the version installed on the Gateway server even come into play here? In other words, who is making the query to MySQL to get data, the Gateway server, or Microsoft Power BI? I suspect the Gateway server.

I have the Gateway configured to "Allow refresh of cloud based data sources through this gateway."

Did I answer your question? If so, mark my post as a solution. Also consider helping someone else in the forums!

Hi @ToddChitt 

You are right in that you need to have the driver installed on the Gateway. I would suggest logging into the gateway server, open the PBIX and make sure that it refreshes there successfully. This will ensure that it is using the driver that the gateway will use too.

Power BI Blog

The gateway server is a bare bones machine to which I do not have access (controlled by the client). But it looks like bringing everybody up to the latest version of the MySQL drivers fixed some issues. (Did they jump from 5.X to 8.X version numbers?)

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors