Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

udian
Helper III
Helper III

Moving a connection from Gateway server X to Gateway server Y

Today I have a connection to my Tabular cube under gateway server X. I would like to sunset gateway server X and move the conncetion to gateway server Y.

I'm trying to understand what is the best way to do this with minimal impcat to the users and their dashboards.

If I first create the connection under gateway server Y and only then remove the connction from gateway server X will it be an issue for both connections to be active on the same time? After removing the conncetion from gateway server X will the users have to change anything in their dashboards or the dashboards will use the new connection automatically?

Thanks!

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
v-nuoc-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @udian 

To move a connection from gateway server X to gateway server Y, try the following steps:

Add a new connection: Add a new connection on gateway server Y, ensuring that the connection is configured correctly and can access the same data sources as the existing connection on gateway server X.

Add or remove a gateway data source - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Test the new connection: Before deleting the old connection, test the new connection on gateway server Y to ensure it is working properly with the dashboard and reports. For testing purposes, you can activate both gateway server X and Y connections simultaneously.

Reconfigure dashboards and reports: After you confirm that the new connection is working properly, you need to update the data source settings of the dashboard and report in the Power BI service to point to the new connection on gateway server Y:

Open your Power BI report or dashboard.

Navigate to the dataset you want to change and select the Settings gear icon.

In the settings menu, find the "Data Source Credentials" section.

Click "Edit Credentials" to change the connection information or data source.

Delete old connections: After successful reconfiguration and testing, you can proceed to delete connections from Gateway Server X.

Regards,

Nono Chen

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

Hi @udian 

To switch to the new gateway server in Power BI, users need to perform the following steps:

Download and install the gateway installer on the new computer.

Register the gateway and select the Migrate, restore, or take over existing gateway option.

Select the gateway cluster and data source to switch to the new server.

Enter the recovery key they created when they installed the original gateway.

Configure the gateway and complete the migration process.

Alternatively, they can use REST APIs to manage data sources and gateways.

You can view the link below for more details:

Migrate, restore, or take over an on-premises data gateway | Microsoft Learn

Regards,

Nono Chen

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-nuoc-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @udian 

To move a connection from gateway server X to gateway server Y, try the following steps:

Add a new connection: Add a new connection on gateway server Y, ensuring that the connection is configured correctly and can access the same data sources as the existing connection on gateway server X.

Add or remove a gateway data source - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Test the new connection: Before deleting the old connection, test the new connection on gateway server Y to ensure it is working properly with the dashboard and reports. For testing purposes, you can activate both gateway server X and Y connections simultaneously.

Reconfigure dashboards and reports: After you confirm that the new connection is working properly, you need to update the data source settings of the dashboard and report in the Power BI service to point to the new connection on gateway server Y:

Open your Power BI report or dashboard.

Navigate to the dataset you want to change and select the Settings gear icon.

In the settings menu, find the "Data Source Credentials" section.

Click "Edit Credentials" to change the connection information or data source.

Delete old connections: After successful reconfiguration and testing, you can proceed to delete connections from Gateway Server X.

Regards,

Nono Chen

Thanks for the detailed answer.

Considering I create the new connection on Gateway server Y how can I control which of the gateway servers my reports and dashboards are using?

My report has a live connection to a Tabular cube. If I go to the "Data Source Setting" section I only see the server and database sections. I don't have any control on which gateway server will be used.

I am asking because I don't understand what should the users alter in their reports in order to switch to the new gateway server.

Hi @udian 

To switch to the new gateway server in Power BI, users need to perform the following steps:

Download and install the gateway installer on the new computer.

Register the gateway and select the Migrate, restore, or take over existing gateway option.

Select the gateway cluster and data source to switch to the new server.

Enter the recovery key they created when they installed the original gateway.

Configure the gateway and complete the migration process.

Alternatively, they can use REST APIs to manage data sources and gateways.

You can view the link below for more details:

Migrate, restore, or take over an on-premises data gateway | Microsoft Learn

Regards,

Nono Chen

NandanHegde
Super User
Super User

Hey,

Based on my understanding :

1) Having multiple same connections across diff gateways wont be any issue

2) So the best way would be to have 2 connections across 2 gateways, ask the users to update their connections from the old gateway to new gateway
3) once confirmed, you can sunset the old gateway

The thing is there is no where in the report to update the gateway that will be used. As far as I understand it's somthing that happens automatically according to the server name in the report connection.
Meaning if my report connects to server with DNS "ABCD" then when I publish the report it will search for a gateway connetion for "ABCD" and will use that one.
Am I missing somthing here?

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors