Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

SamRobinson120
Frequent Visitor

Monitoring Embedded Power BI Reports

I have a workspace per customer and have embedded several Power BI paginated reports into an application. I haven't been able to find any way of retrieving information on how long these reports are taking each time they are run. Back in the days of SSRS we had the ExecutionLog table in the ReportServer database, which split the total processing time into data retrieval and rendering. Is there an equivalent in the Power BI service?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @SamRobinson120 

You can instal the premium metrics app once that is done, you should then be able to see the execution log table. Install the Microsoft Fabric capacity metrics app - Microsoft Fabric | Microsoft Learn

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-zhengdxu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @SamRobinson120 

Maybe you can try to use the Audit log to extract the Power BI log information (Report or dashboard reviewed), and then filter for individual report usage to obtain the desired results. In addition, you can also make a Powershell to extract Audit logs into a CSV file, and then use the CSV file as a data source for Power BI reports.

Here are some links for reference:

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/collaborate-share/service-usage-metrics

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/collaborate-share/service-modern-usage-metrics

Best Regards

Zhengdong Xu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @SamRobinson120 

You can instal the premium metrics app once that is done, you should then be able to see the execution log table. Install the Microsoft Fabric capacity metrics app - Microsoft Fabric | Microsoft Learn

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

For anyone else interested in this, to get it installed, I had to set myself as a Power BI Capacity Administrator in the Power BI capacity in Azure even though i'm a tenant admin. Also, those documents seem to navigate you to install an old version of the app which you then have to update.

The dashboard you get with the app seems to include the data I need, but i'm far from convinced by the accuracy of the data it's presenting. The underlying dataset looks like a good starting point to build on though.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

Top Solution Authors