Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Fedaa

Lost connection to excel file

Hi,

I created a report on power bi service based on data from an excel file that's saved on OneDrive Business. I accedentially changed its location, then I got it back to OneDrive Business. Since then I can't refresh the dataset at all. I'm stuck with the old version of the excel file. 

How to solve this issue? 

- I can't seem to find any option to change data source on power bi service

- I can't download the report to open it with Power Bi Desktop as well. 

Any other solution?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Well if they have created the report without PowerBi Desktop it's a problem. The developed file is the key to modify data structure, sources, model, etc. But if the report was just a Service report connected to a file at onedrive you can't just change it. That's of course an assumption.

Here you have the doc listing all the things that might prevent you to download the pbix:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/create-reports/service-export-to-pbix

I hope you can get the file otherwise you will need to recrete it from scratch.

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
ibarrau
Super User
Super User

Hi. Unless you get the Power Bi Desktop file, you won't be able to fix the source. The only way to keep it up to date is using the old folder path.

Once you get the pbix file, you change first on the file. You go to TransformData or Data Source Settings and change the path of the file with the new one. Once you mange that re publish the pbix to Service. The last step would be editing the credentials at Service on the schedule refresh settings.

I hope that helps,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

Hi,

The option to download the pbix file is greyed out, so I can't download it. I think it's because the source file is on OneDrive Business (somehow there is a limitation associated to that).

Well if they have created the report without PowerBi Desktop it's a problem. The developed file is the key to modify data structure, sources, model, etc. But if the report was just a Service report connected to a file at onedrive you can't just change it. That's of course an assumption.

Here you have the doc listing all the things that might prevent you to download the pbix:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/create-reports/service-export-to-pbix

I hope you can get the file otherwise you will need to recrete it from scratch.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors