Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

jtandon

Looking to have common database username/pwd connection string for password updates

Do we know if we have any common place where in we store database username /pwd's (connection details) to make it common/shareable with many workspaces? We want to make it easier for password change activity that instead of changing pwd for each db connection we can change in a particular string/repository and that pwd should be updated in all workspaces automatically.

2 REPLIES 2
v-nuoc-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @jtandon 

@ibarrau Thank you very much for your prompt reply. Allow me to add something here.

For security reasons, power bi does not allow adding data source credentials on a shared basis.

For each workspace, data source credentials need to be managed separately.

Solved: Manage data source credentials in Power Bi Desktop... - Microsoft Fabric Community

Regards,

Nono Chen

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

ibarrau
Super User
Super User

Hi. I'm sorry but credentials can't be parameterized. They are encrypted when inserted. If your datasource changes the credentials too often and you want to keep all developments easily updated, you can use power bi dataflows as an alternative. Keep the most used tables at dataflows. That way one person can administrate them and other users just reuse them without concerning about conection.

I hope that helps

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors